Donnie Brasco (Fluff/Angst)

Eight year old Y/N rubbed hastily at her eyes, the slickness of her tears wetting her hand.

     She couldn't sleep.

     "Daddy!" She wailed, frustration getting to her, "Can you come in my room?"

      The house was quiet, save for the sound of footsteps, before her door burst open. Her dad's black hair stuck up around his head, and he wore sweats and a gray shirt.

       "Yes, Y/N? Why can't you sleep, baby?" His voice was gruff, but gentle.

        "I don't know. Mommy says you're always away for work, but you're never here for too long  when  you  come  back."  Y/N's lower lip wobbled.

         "Why can't you stay?"

         At this, tears raced down her cheeks, but it was enough for Joe to see that she obviously needed him.

        "Oh, baby...."

         He closed the door and sat on the side of her bed. "I'm sorry, but this is what happens with my job." He began, wrapping his arms around her.

          Joe kissed her forehead. Her hair was soft, and smelled like the rose shampoo his wife had used when Y/N had a bath earlier.

          "I'm sorry, I really wanna be around more, but when this case is done, I can take you out somewhere, yeah?"

           Y/N sniffled. "I don't want you to take me out."

           Her eyes glistened with tears when she glanced at him. "I just want you with me and Mommy."

           His heart sank. Of course she would want that.

           Of course she would.

           Hell, she probably told her classmates and teachers she didn't have a father.

           He wouldn't have blamed her.

           Even his wife was getting quite worried and trying to keep it together for her daughter.

           He thumbed away the tears on her cheeks. "Alright then. Whatever you wish, Y/N."

           Y/N's chubby fingers clumsily pulled back the blanket. She wore fuzzy peach pajamas, with dancing monkeys on them. "You'll try, really try?"

            "Really. I promise." He locked pinkies with her, before frowning. Now it was official. He knew, because of Y/N, he had to."Do you want me to sleep here tonight?"

            Y/N nodded. So Joe carefully got under the purple blanket, turning onto his side. He practically had to spoon Y/N; the bed was very small for his height.

            Y/N had her hand under her head. "Goodnight."

            She planted a somewhat sticky kiss on his cheek. Her eyes, previously red and shiny, were now starting to droop and close from sleepiness.

           I don't deserve you, he thought. Either of you.

          Joe smiled. "Goodnight."