Masquerade

Masquerade

Paper faces on parade

Masquerade

Hide your face so the world will never find you

("Masquerade," The Phantom of the Opera)

King Leopold insisted on hosting a masquerade ball to celebrate their first anniversary. Regina didn't feel like celebrating a marriage she felt trapped in, especially when it would be so close to the one year anniversary of Daniel's death. But like most things in her life, she had no say. She had no choice but to smile, nod and thank her husband for his kindness.

Before she knew it, the night of the masquerade arrived. She had decided to wear a silver dress, a feminine color that also symbolized mysteriousness. Regina curled her dark red lips into a smirk at the thought. Everyone was going to expect the queen to be wearing gold. And she was going to be wearing a mask which covered her entire face, something queens didn't do. She didn't care. Her entire costume had been planned to give her a chance to slip into the crowd unnoticed for a little while.

Until her husband intervened, starting with her dress. It was an opulent ball gown with a tight bodice encrusted with diamonds and a large silk skirt which was covered by a gauzy layer with pearls sewn into it. Leopold also insisted she wear some of the royal jewels to the ball. A heavy, diamond encrusted chandelier necklace weighed down her neck. Matching earring pulled at her earlobes and her fingers were weighted down by several rings. Diamonds even encrusted her mask, which was now a Columbiana mask-one that only covered her eyes and the bridge of her nose. Silver feathers rose from the ends to frame her face. It was more fitting for a queen, she was told.

Regina stared at herself in the mirror frowning. There was no missing her like this. So much for her dreams of escaping for at least one night.

"Is something wrong, Your Majesty?" Her handmaiden appeared in the mirror, worry over displeasing her mistress clear on her face.

"No, there isn't. Thank you." Regina waved her away. The handmaiden bowed and disappeared from sight.

Regina didn't move right away. If Leopold wanted his young wife to be seen, then she was going to be the last one to enter. Then all eyes would really be on her.

A guard entered the room, bowing to her. Regina frowned. "I don't need an escort down to the ballroom."

"Sorry, Your Majesty, but it's the King's orders."

"Why?"

"For your safety." Leopold entered her room. He wore a silver and black velvet robe that matched his black mask. "We've received word that the Merry Men have been spotted near the palace. You've heard of them, right?"

Everyone had heard of the Merry Men and their leader, Robin Hood. Court gossip said he was the son of a lesser lord who had gone rogue, leading a ragtag group of bandits on raids where he robbed the people he one associated with. Their base of operation was in Sherwood Forest, located at the very edge of her husband's kingdom, but the forest was vast. No one had been able to locate it yet. Capturing Robin Hood would be a great coup for her husband.

Regina sighed. "Yes, I have. And I don't think he's going to steal me. The escort is unnecessary."

"You may think so, Regina, but I must insist." Leopold kissed her and she tried not to gag. "I shall see you in the ballroom. Do not tarry."

*****

The ballroom had no air. Between the torches lighting the room and the heat from the multitude of dancers, the room was hot. Regina sent a servant back to her room for a fan, but it did little to relieve her. She sighed as she snapped her fan shut.