19. Boardwalk Buzz

Kina's POV

"I've never been here on Valentines day before" Erika's eyes lit up as she took in the pink and red of the highly decorated boardwalk.

I took her hand in mine as I led her to the end of the walk to watch the sunset. When the glow of the sun's golden rays hit her eyes they turned a gorgeous shade of amber. Her eyes sparkled even more in the light and I found myself falling deeper into her soul.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she giggled. I snapped back to reality. 

"Looking at you like what?" I asked. 

"You know what I'm talking about. You're staring at me" 

"Because you're beautiful"

"Stop it" she giggled again. The sound I loved hearing. I draped my arm over her shoulder as the sun continued to dip below the horizon. 

"Last call for volunteers for the open mic competition. Winner gets $1000" a lady dressed head to toe in pink shouted from the makeshift stage that was in the middle of the walk. 

Erika and I shared a look. 

"I'm doing it" she stated excitedly. I shrugged and followed her to the stage. 

"You volunteering?" the lady in pink asked. Erika nodded. 

The lady handed Erika a clipboard. 

"Name, age, song, original artist and whether or not you need an instrument" the lady said.

Erika scribbled down the required information and handed the clipboard back. The lady gave her a thumbs up and we walked away. 

"So what are you singing?" I questioned

"Monster by Henry" she answered. I pulled out my phone to find the song on Spotify. 

"There are like three different versions of this song" I raised an eyebrow at her. 

"I only know the English version off by heart" she explained. The pink lady approached us again with a guitar. Erika thanked her and tested the strings. 

"Okay is there anything you can't do?" I questioned in awe. 

"I have and Asian father. If you find something I can't do chances are he's going to force me to learn that skill too" she joked. 

"In all honesty I wanted to be an idol when I was younger so I taught myself how to play the piano and the guitar off of YouTube and I did vocal coaching with my sister. Then I decided I wanted to be a writer" she explained. 

"A writer? What does that look like for you?" 

"Well either scriptwriting or song-writing" she blushed. 

"Erika you're on in five" the pink lady interrupted before I could say anything.

"Wish me luck" Erika smiled before walking with the pink lady to the stairs behind the stage. 

"Our next performance is from fourteen year old Erika Park who will be singing Monster by Henry" the pink lady announced before Erika walked onto the stage. Erika took a deep breath before starting the song. 

She played the intro chords to the song and my jaw dropped. Erika's eyes met mine and I felt a tingle flow down my spine.

Kiss Me
Tell me all those lies like when you miss me

My heart raced as I heard her angelic voice come through the microphone. 

Open up your heart and let your love touch me
I just need it all, I've been so patient, waiting for you so long