18. Malamente

Kina's POV

When I arrived home from the dance I was immediately met with my mother who sat waiting patiently at the dining room table. She looked at me expectantly as I sat down across from her.

"Don't make me beg for it! How did it go with Erika?" she questioned. I sighed and a small smile slowly appeared on my face. I chuckled at my mother's impatient expression before speaking. 

"I have a date tomorrow night after the competition" I couldn't suppress the excitement that bubbled inside me. My mom squealed and clapped excitedly.

"So she likes you back?" she asked. I stared at the ceiling for a few seconds before realisation hit.

"Oh my god she likes me back" I jolted up and began pacing the dining room. It had been a while since I had felt this...giddy about someone. Erika brought out a side of me I wasn't used to. 

"Kina honey I thought you wanted her to like you back" she chuckled. I sighed and sat back down. 

"I don't know mom. What if she thinks I'm weird or too overprotective or worse, what if her family doesn't think I'm good enough because I'm not Korean" I panicked. My mother chuckled and squeezed my shoulder reassuringly.

"You will be fine Kina Song. Perfectly fine" my mother reassured me. I exhaled deeply and a memory of my dad flashed in my head. It had been forever since I last thought about him but for some reason, my mind had a silly habit of bringing up old memories in situations like this. 

"I miss dad" I blurted. My mom's face fell for a split second before a small smile graced her features. She pulled me in for a hug and I couldn't stop the tears from falling.

"I miss him" I sobbed. My mom held me tight and kissed my forehead.

"I know you miss him. I see more of him in you every day. He would have been so proud of how far you've come Kina" my mother's voice wavered at the end.

I took a deep breath and wiped the tears off my face.

"This never happened. If anyone asks I've never cried in my entire life" I sniffled. My mother scoffed.

"God forbid anyone finds out the high and mighty, egotistical Kina Song has cried in her life" she rolled her eyes. I chuckled.

"I have to keep up my stone cold personality" I joked. My mom smiled and released me from her embrace.

"Now tell me about the dance I want to know everything from start to finish" my mom changed the subject. We spent the rest of the night talking about everything that had been happening in my life.

I woke up the next morning cuddled up in my mom's arms. I don't remember when or how I ended up in bed but it was nice. Almost comforting. It had been a while since my mother and I were this close.

"Oh good you're awake" my mom whispered. She stroked my hair gently.

"You fell asleep last night and I didn't want to wake you" she continued. I smiled and sat up, checking my phone for the time.

"What time does your competition start today?" she asked as she got out of my bed.

"Three this afternoon" I rasped.

"It's twelve now so you should get ready so you can get to the studio and practice" she said before leaving my room. I got out of bed and stalked to the bathroom to shower. Memories of the night before slowly filtered into my mind.

"So dinner tomorrow after the competition?"

"Definitely"

"Shit" I whispered. I was definitely not prepared for tonight and I was sure I was going to embarrass myself tonight. I got ready quickly and packed a bag with my many outfit changes for the day. Just as I was about to leave my phone rang.