Protecting The Protector

Zelda's POV

I stared into the rusted, metal eye of the guardian. My hands in tight fists at my sides as I studied it and the others that were rotting around it. Though they all looked the same, I remember the exact position it was in when we left it, and out of all these guardians, I knew this was the same one that ruined everything. Mother Nature was slowly taking it over, with moss and vines wrapping around it, the only part untouched being that horrifying eye. I felt as though it would come back alive any moment. 

"This is the one, isn't it." I heard Impa question as she approached me from behind.

"Still in the exact spot." I whispered as I looked over my shoulder to face her. "Him and I were standing right here." 

"None of these guardians have moved from this field since that night. It won't hurt you anymore." Purah spoke walking up beside Impa.

I looked back to the guardian. "No, it won't because even if it miraculously did become alive again, I would tear it apart with my own two hands."

Purah let out a soft whistle behind me. "I must say, I'm liking new warrior Zelda. Who knew you were so feisty." 

Impa shoved her elbow into Purah's side and shushed her. "Not now, Purah."

"We need to lighten this mood somehow, I'm getting the creeps staring at it." 

"So... let me get this straight, dear Princess." Impa paused and walked up next to me. "Out of every guardian in this field, in all of Hyrule, you want to use this one as your test subject. Maybe it would be better off destroyed."

"No, we can't destroy them all. They are too valuable and let's not forget that it was under Ganon's control, as much hate as I have for this guardian, we must not put the full blame on it." I responded and walked closer to it, though every part of me told me to run from it.

I reached up and gently brushed my fingers along the rusted leg. My mind tried to repress every memory from that night, running for our lives as this very guardian tracked us down, my whole body being full of terror as we stared back into it's bright blue eye. All of it flashed behind my eyes, the moment replaying over and over. It has been all morning and now, I couldn't stop feeling and seeing all of it. The soft footsteps behind me quickly snapped me out of my thoughts as a gentle hand rested onto my back. 

I turned to see Link staring at me with a light smile upon his lips. His other hand reached and grabbed onto my right hand. Though my mind was calmed as I looked into his eyes, my body told me to grab onto him and run, pull him away from this exact spot. I looked behind him to Purah and Impa who were now talking to two other Sheikah guards, pointing to a few of the dead guardians. His hand gently tugged on mine, pulling my attention back to him.

Not able to ignore my body's flight response, I tightened my grip on his hand and started walking with him away from the dead guardian. "I don't want you near that thing." I whispered to him.

"Zelda, it has been dead for a hundred years, I'm alright." He replied back.

"I don't care if it was dead for a thousand years, please just stay away from it."

"Then I don't want you going near it either." He jerked my hand back to force my feet to stop. "Pick a different guardian or something else to study. I'm ordering that one to be destroyed."