Beautifully Broken

Zelda's POV

"All I'm asking is that you take today and rest with Link. You and I both saw how he was last night when you arrived, I think he is near his breaking point." Impa spoke before taking a sip from her mug.

I squeezed onto the mug in between my hands, letting the warmth of the herbal tea inside of it caress my palms. The morning air had a slight chill as I took in a deep breath in, soaking in the coolness.

"I think he passed his breaking point long ago, only holding himself together for me and for this kingdom. We will rest though, I promise. Tomorrow we will all go to Hateno Fort as planned." I took in another breath.

"What did cause him to be so shaken up last night?" She questioned while resting her mug on the table.

"I'm telling you Impa it's these dreams, if you can even call them that. From what I understand he is having similar to mine, picture perfect recollections of our past memories coming to us as we sleep."

"Maybe that's because they are more than a dream. Think about it, out of nowhere you and him begin having these memories in the same night. Both being recollections of your last time in the shrine." She propped her elbow up on the table and rested her chin on her palm, trying to connect everything together.

"He would barely even try falling asleep last night in the Inn. Every time I thought he would be close he would jolt right back awake, he is terrified of waking in that shrine again."

"I would understand why. I know you saw some of his journey after he awoke but I was the first person he sought out. He had no clue who he was, only knowing that he was meant to find the Princess." She paused on her words as I lifted my hands and rubbed them down my face. "Don't do that to yourself." She snapped.

"Do what?"

"Think to yourself that you should've done more for him when he awoke. There was nothing more you could've done. No matter what, he was going to wake up from that shrine lost and confused. In the end, it didn't matter because he fought day to day to find you, even when he didn't have a clue who you were he was fighting for you. He didn't need you to do more, he just needed you." She reached over and pulled my hands down from my face and holding them in hers.

"I don't want him to ever have to remember those days again. I don't want to remember having to put him in that shrine. I just want these weird dreams to stop."

"Maybe, these dreams are Hylia trying to speak to you two. Something about the shrine perhaps?"

"And exactly what would be important about the Shrine of Resurrection now?" I squeezed onto her hands.

"I think the only one who can answer that, is her." She turned her head to look towards the statue of Hylia in the middle of Kakariko.

Her hands slipped out of mine and around her mug once more. "Just, think on it Princess. But do all that thinking tomorrow. Today, go cuddle up to that soon-to-be king of yours or skip through a field of flowers or listen to the local farmers argue over who has better produce. I don't care what you do, just as long as you are resting." She took another sip than smiled to me.

"Yes, Impa. I will rest and maybe do all those things. I better go and check on him. He will probably sleep all day if I allow him." I giggled.