Haunting Memories

Zelda's POV

"Are you sure, Princess?" Impa whispered to me.

"We... we must do this, try at least." I spoke with the little strength I had left.

"Where is the sword?" Purah spoke from behind us.

"I will take it to rest where no one will wake it, no one but him. It shall rest, along with him." Tears flowed down my eyes as I held the knight's hand. 

My hair, skin, and dress was covered in dirt, rain, and tears. My voice rasp from the nonstop crying and screaming. My legs and arms sore from running, my palm burned from my power.

My power that saved no one. My power that showed itself a moment too late. 

I squeezed the hand of my knight, not ready to let go. How long would it be until he awoke again, if he awoke? Would he remember anything? Himself? 

Would he even remember me?

We became closer, I finally heard him speak a full sentence not too long ago. That sentence lead to two, to a whole conversation. I went from resenting him to always wanting him near. His presence instantly lightening the room.

He was always there for me. To celebrate when I was excited, to hold me when I was crying, to protect me even when his protection was the last thing I wanted at moments. He saved my life multiple times...

and I couldn't save his this one time.

I felt a soft hand rest upon my shoulder as I knelt over him. The shrine, thought beautiful, it was dark and cold. He had to lay in this shrine, fighting for his life because of me. Because I failed.

"Princess... we are running out of time. We must get you safe." Impa spoke calmly.

"No. I'm going to Ganon." I spoke back to her, my voice stern.

"What? You cannot be serious." Purah snapped.

"I can hold him off, keep him concealed until Master Link returns to us."

"He will kill you."

"Then let him. I will not wait around and watch my kingdom fall to ruin more than it already has. I will not wait and watch while the rest of what I have left fall around me. I will use every ounce of strength I have left fighting." I squeezed onto his hand.

"I understand Princess Zelda. It's just... Link, he may not awake for years. Decades even. This has never been done before, we have no proof if this will even work." I heard Purah step closer.

"It will work. He will come back."

"When he does, we have no clue what he will be like. He most likely will have no recollection of himself, may not even know his name." Impa gently rested her hands on me turning me to face her.

"I will guide him. I will be his light and he will know. With the Shekiah Slate and us to help him, he will remember who he is, he will save us." I looked back to him. 

The glow from the shrine made his pale skin glisten, his golden hair gently flowed around him. Before letting go for the last time, I leaned over the shrine's bed and pressed a soft kiss to his forehead, still holding his hand in mine. I laid his hand back to his side, caressing his palm once more and then stood to face Impa and Purah. Both had tears running down their cheeks, Impa pressed a hand to her mouth.