The Vision

Zelda's POV

The visit back in Hateno Village was short, not wanting to spend more than a day there. We wanted to keep the journey going. So, after a day of rest and preparations inside Link's home, we readied ourselves and continued on back to Castle Town. It's been a long while now since I've seen the progress of Castle Town, and I was thrilled to see it again. Even though in the past I resented the castle, I was grown now and all of Hyrule rested in my hands, making me ready to return within the castle walls and truly earn my title as Princess once again. 

Night began to fall on us as we continued on through the trails, my eyes slowly growing heavy. When he noticed my fatigue, Link stopped Epona and I copied him, stopping Knight. He slid off her back and walked around to me, holding out his arms for me to fall into. I grabbed onto each one of his arms as he guided me off of Knight, unsure of his plan. As he grabbed onto Knight's reins and tied them into Epona. He then held onto my hands and guided me to Epona, and helped me lift my body onto her. Following me, he jumped up onto her behind me and reached around my sides to grab onto her reins, and continued her on.

"Now you can rest, Princess." He whispered and kissed the back of my head. 

I smiled and flipped my legs around so I was facing him, riding backwards on Epona. I planted a gentle kiss on his cheek as a thank you and then wrapped my arms around his torso, allowing myself to bury my head into the side of his neck. After a few moments of listening to the sound of Link's breathing, mixed with the trotting of Epona and Knight's hooves, I drifted off to sleep.

==========

I awoke to a soft voice and the feeling of a gentle hand on my cheek. I opened my eyes, instantly becoming confused of our destination. I looked up to see Link's blue eyes staring down at me. I reached and rubbed my own eyes to try and wake myself quicker to understand his words.

"Wh-what did you say?" I forced out.

"We are going to stop and rest here for the night, we are at the Riverside Stables. The horses are getting cranky and I'm starting to feel quite tired myself." He whispered to me. 

I looked towards the stables to see a man jotting down notes in a journal with a couple travelers sleeping inside.

"Do they have beds for us?" I asked.

"Not sure, I was waiting for you to wake before I went and asked. If not, I think we have supplies for a tent." He replied to me and my eyes widened.

"A tent? You mean... we could build a fort?" I giggled at him. 

"I take it you prefer the tent. Here hop off and head inside, let me have them take in the horses and then, let the fort building begin." He grinned and began to help me slide of Epona.

As he talked with the stable worker, I glanced around at the night sky. Though the sun was resting, I could still feel the warmth lingering in the air, the stars were bright with not a single cloud to hide their glow. It was a perfect night. I felt a gentle hand take mine and began walking with Link as he lead me over to a nearby oak tree, a fire was already lit near it creating a warm glow. Since I lacked the tent making skills, Link did most of the work but he showed me along the way, letting me help him when I could. When he was finished I became giddy with excitement and quickly crawled inside, him following. 

After eating some fruit, we sat in the tent for a little to map the plans for the next day's journey. I cut the planning short though when I noticed how tired he was, but he was trying his hardest to conceal it. He crawled out of the tent for a moment so I had privacy to change into my nightgown. When he entered the tent again, he instantly pulled off his tunic and under shirt and grabbed the blanket to cover himself, leaving enough blanket for me to crawl under with him. It only took a few minutes for him to fall asleep, I laid there listening to his breathing and soon I fell asleep beside him. 

==========

I woke in the middle of the night, I reached for Link, but he wasn't there. My head felt an uncomfortable pressure inside. I sat up and pulled the blanket off of me and decided to try and search for Link outside. After opening the tent and stepping out, I saw Link standing there with his back facing me.

"Link?" I gently called out to him. No reply. "Link, what are you doing out here?" I called out again.

Slowly, he turned around, revealing his eyes, they were completely black. His face lacked expression. I fell to the ground in fear and started to try and move back towards the tent, my eyes being flooded with tears. I slowly looked down from his eyes, to his hands. One held the master sword, covered in blood. I tried to scream-

And I woke up gasping for air. My whole body was shivering and my held felt as if it was crushed. I quickly glanced beside me, Link was fast asleep facing the cloth of the tent. Did I just have a nightmare? Why did it feel so real? I reached down gingerly and moved Link's bangs from his face, he was peaceful. I tried to match his peace by controlling my breathing and my shivers.

His eyes, the blood. I couldn't unsee any of it. It felt real, he looked so real. The air within the tent became heavy I quickly crawled out into the night sky, and fell to my knees into the grass below me. Tears filled my eyes. Maybe it wasn't a nightmare, could it have been a premonition? The future? No, please no don't let this be the future, don't let him become this. Tears fell from my eyes as I my hands turned into fists, ripping blades of grass from the ground.

"Hylia, please. No more pain. I beg you, he's done so much for your people, for you. Please why do you let him continue to feel this pain, don't let my vision become his reality, our reality. Please Hylia!" I start bawling and praying into the ground. Not realizing the volume of my voice. 

A few seconds later, two arms wrapped around the back of me, pulling me into a hug. My back pressed into Link's chest as he tried to sooth me, only making my tears become stronger. He was whispering to me but I never understood his words. My body was overwhelmed with emotions of sadness, fear, and anger. After a few more moments, His arms twisted me, forcing me to face him. He pushed the lingering strands of my hair away from my face and wiped my tear stained cheeks. When my eyes met him, I was finally able to understand his words.

"I'm here, please Zelda look at me. Everything is alright. I will protect you." He whispered to me. I nodded with the little strength I had left and he slowly pulled me up and carried me back inside to the tent.

He held me for the rest of the night, even giving me his tunic to sleep in to help me stop shivering. I hugged onto him tightly, and I was determined to never loose my grip on him again.