21.

Alex sighed nervously as he got ready for court. Fighting for custody of a kid they may not even be his was not something Alexander ever thought he would have to do.

Eliza, who was now eight months pregnant, couldn't believe this either. She was kissed, to say the least. She had been sending Alex threatening text and even showed up to his apartment in the middle of the night.

Alex was terrified. But he knew he could use that to build his case.

"I can't believe you're doing this! We were supposed t be together forever and have a family!" Eliza said the second she saw Alex step out of his car in front of the court house.

"And I can't believe you turned into a sociopath." Alex said, walking into the court house, trying to ignore Eliza.

"Hey, Alex!" Alex heard John's voice say. Alex gave a soft smile before turning around and his smile faltering whenever he saw John with Francis.

"Hey, John. Hey, Francis." Alex said, waiting on the two. They both walked over to him and smiled before going into the court house.

"Can Alex and I have a moment alone, baby?" John asked Francis after they checked in.

"Of course." Francis kissed his cheek before walking into the couch area to sit down and give them time to talk.

"Why is he here?" Alex asked, sounding bitter in his tone.

John sighed softly. "He knows, Alexander." He said softly.

"How?" Alex asked, not expecting that. He knew John was very worried about him finding out.

"I just... I felt guilty and couldn't hold it in. He's just feeling kind of hurt right now and we're just trying to work it out. And he didn't feel comfortable with me and you alone." John explained, shrugging.

"Was he mad?" Alex asked.

John shook his head. "No. He's just hurt. I did the thing I never wanted to do. He trusted me and I broke that."

"Is he wanting to end it?" Alex asked, not meaning to sound as excited as he did.

"We're trying to work it out." John said softly. "So what's going to happen?" He asked.

"Well you're going to be called to the stand and your job will be to explain how Eliza wouldn't be a good mother from qualities you've seen. You can include the abuses and stuff that have happened." Alexander explained.

"Do you want things to work out between you and Francis?" Alex asked immediately after, wanting to get back to that conversation.

John sighed softly. "I'm not talking about this here." He said. "I'll see you in the court room." John mumbled before walking back and sitting next to Francis.

John wanted to reach for his hand and lean on him a bit but he also knew Francis was hurting and he didn't want to push him to forgive him.

"Thank you for coming with me." John said softly. "I'm glad you're here."

Francis nodded. "After this, why don't we order some dinner and just... really talk about last night, yeah?" He said.

"I think that would be a good idea." John nodded in agreement.

Court began after a bit of a wait. Alex was nervous and felt sick to his stomach but he knew he had to do this. He couldn't and wouldn't leave a child in custody of Eliza after everything she had done.

It wasn't long into the battle when Eliza started crying and yelling about how she wanted her baby. Part of Alex did feel a bit of sympathy for his ex wife, but another part of him wanted to roll his eyes and scoff at her show.

The judge was understanding of her crying but ultimately did need her to calm down and shut up.

Alexander told of his abuses and even showed a few bruises that remained on his skin from being beaten with the iron pan a few months back. He explained their marriage and how afraid he was for the child's safety.

After Alexander's testimony, John was brought up for his own, to which he backed up everything Alexander said. He told of the many nights Alexander would hide out at his house from Eliza. He explained cleaning up the bruises or scars from Alexander's body.

After, John explained how Alexander would be as a parent. He mentioned the stable income he had, unlike Eliza who did not work. He also mentioned the stable home Alexander would be able to provide. He knew what would help Alex and he said what would.

Once John was dismissed, he walked to his seat and sat next to Francis.

Eliza had started crying more, blowing her nose into a tissue loudly.

"I will need some time to make my decision. We will have a brief recess. Afterwards, I will have my decision." The judge stated before hitting her mallet. Everyone stood as she left the room.

"You did good." Frances whispered to John. John gave him a soft smile. "Thank you."

Alexander walked over to the two of them. "Thank you again, John." He said, clearly very nervous. He had been shaking this whole time.

"You don't need to thank me. You deserve this child. She doesn't." John explained. "You're going to be an amazing father."

Alex smiled softly, feeling his heart swell with John's words, genuinely in love with the boy. "Thank you. I hope so."

"You will be." John promised. A few moments later, the judge returned.

"I have reached my decision. Following the testimonies of Elizabeth Schuyler, Alexander Hamilton, Maria Lewis, and John Laurens, I have determined that Alexander Hamilton be granted full custody of the child in which Elizabeth Schuyler is carrying." The judge said.

"On the date of the birth, Elizabeth Schuyler will not be signed on the birth certificate of Alexander Hamilton does not wish."

Alexander felt like he was on top of the world at that moment. He was going to be a father. He was going to have a child and no one could say otherwise.

Alex smiled brightly and looked over at John, who was also smiling. He nodded to Alex and gave him a thumbs up.

The only thing that could make this better was John being with him, them raising this child together.