18.

"I think you should move out."

"What?" Alex asked. "Why?"

"Well, I can't- we can't keep doing this." John gestured to their bodies. "And I think you have a better chance of getting custody of the child if you have your own place."

Alex nodded. "I guess that makes sense." He mumbled. "But... why can't we keep doing this? I mean, Francis doesn't have to know." He said, shrugging.

"Alexander." John sighed.

"No, I'm serious." Alex stated, going to John and wrapping his arms around him. "I mean, you clearly enjoyed it. And so did I. Francis never had to know if we just... keep it a regular thing."

John gently grabbed Alexander's arm, not pulling away but just holding there. "Alex, no. That'll just... I'll just be doing the thing that got you to leave Eliza."

"But I loved Eliza. You don't love Francis." Alex stated simply.

"But I do care about him and genuinely want him happy. I can't break his heart." John said.

Alex sighed softly and moved his arms from around John. "I don't understand why you care about him so much. He's a jerk."

"He isn't. I don't understand why you hate him so much." John said. "He really is the sweetest, most generous and understanding man I've ever met."

"Then why don't you marry him?" Alex snapped a bit.

"I am-" John laughed. "We're literally getting married in a year."

"You've already picked out the date?" Alex asked.

"Mhm. Seventeenth of July, next year. We agreed on a summer wedding since he's a school teacher and we could have a better honeymoon that way."

"Oh, okay." Alex said, mot seeming to really care. "Where?" He asked.

"In town at the gazebo in Lincoln Park." John stated.

"So you really are going to marry him?" Alex asked.

"Yes, Alexander. I really am."

Alex sighed softly and nodded. "Okay. Well, I'm gonna start looking for an apartment of my own." He said.

"I think that would be for the best." John nodded.

"Yeah, probably." Alex said softly, walking out of the kitchen and to the couch, getting his laptop and beginning his search.

-

"Hey- what do you think about moving in together?" Francis asked as the two of them walked down the street. They were going to the city fair as a date.

"Yeah? Do you think it's time for that?" John asked, holding Francis's hand. "I mean- it would save money and we'd have more money for the wedding. And we'd be able to spend more time with each other." Francis shrugged.

"And Alex is looking for an apartment, right? If you move in with me, can't he just stay in yours?" Francis suggested, squeezing John's hand.

"You really have been thinking about this a lot." John laughed softly.

"Well, I've been wanting to ask you for a while." Francis explained. "And why has it taken you so long?" John mused.

Francis shrugged. "I don't know- timing didn't seem right but I just... I think we should do it. If you want to."

"I think it's a wonderful idea. My lease ends next week anyways so this came at a perfect time." John laughed softly.

Francis smiled and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. "Good."

They walked to the fair and John paid for him. They did this thing where they just switched off who paid for what so there wasn't any bickering about it or such. It was John's turn this time, which John really didn't mind. The fair could get expensive and he knew he made more money than Francis anyways. Francis was a teacher and John was a doctor so their pay range was completely different.

John genuinely was happy with Francis. He made him smile and he knew what to say when John needed it. He was just perfect. And John was really starting to fall, just not realizing it.

Anytime he was with Francis, Alexander was like a distant thought. Besides the slight guilt of what they had done together. He pushed that off as much as he could but it was still there.

"Let's just get some food and then play some of the carnival games." John suggested.

"Sounds perfect. Then we can go on the Ferris wheel." Francis hummed.

"Mhm." John agreed, going and getting a funnel cake for him and Francis to share.

They sat down on a bench and ate, laughing with each other and enjoying the night.

"Shit-" John said as his ring missed the bottle.

"Here, let me try." Francis laughed, taking the rings from John's hand and tossing them, making them on the bottle.

"You shit head-" John laughed and shook his head.

Francis rolled his eyes and picked out the stuffed blue bird as his prize.

"For you." He said to John, hanging it to him.

"I was gonna try and win that frog for you." John said, taking the bird.

"Yeah, well, I'm just better at ring toss." Francis said jokingly, sticking his tongue out.

"It's okay. I'll kick your ass at the baseball jar one." John said as they walked towards that game.

"Is that so?" Francis mused.

"Mhm. I played baseball in high school and college, babe." John laughed.

"Damn, yeah, I'm not sporty so you'll definitely win." Francis laughed in return as they made it to the game. John did, in fact, kick Francis's ass.

"Ha!" John said, giving Francis the stuffed frog he won for him.

Francis laughed softly and took it, kissing John's cheek. "Let's get in line for the Ferris wheel, hun." He said.

John smiled and nodded, waking with Francis over there. Once in line, the two chatted about whatever. Francis was talking about work and John was too. The then got on the ride, sitting next to each other and leaning on each other as well.

"Four hundred and eight days until we are married." Francis whispered as they started to move.

"I can't wait." John whispered back, pressing a kiss to Francis's shoulder.

"Neither can I." Francis smiled as they went up. "The day is gonna be perfect. Absolutely perfect."

John smiled and held Francis's hand.

His heart began to swell and he felt that same feeling he felt when Alexander would touch him. He felt that same love for his husband to be, after so long of trying to gain those feelings.

"Oh my god-" John whispered.

"What's the matter?" Francis asked, looking over at John.

John shook his head. "Nothing. Nothing." He assured.

"I just love you."

And for the first time, when John said it, he meant it.