9.

"Francis is gonna be over soon." John told Alex, sitting with him on the couch.

Alexander rolled his eyes. "I don't get why you got back with him. He's a total prick." He mumbled.

"He's a nice guy." John shrugged a bit. In all honestly, it sounded like Alex was jealous. Granted, this wasn't the first time he seemed that way.

"And why does it matter to you?" John asked, not meaning to come off a bit rude like he had.

"Because you're my friend and I care about you. I don't want you to end up hurt and this guy is a known prick." Alex muttered bitterly.

"First, he isn't a known prick. You labeled him that. And second, don't you see that's how I feel about Eliza? I mean, you're in an abusive relationship-"

"It's not abusive." Alex cut it, sounded a bit annoyed and bitter in his voice.

"It is." John said with a sigh. "But you expect me to just let it happen and not try and get you to leave? You've come over with bruises, Alex. You can't tell me that shit isn't abuse." He sighed again.

"I can't just leave, John. I love Eliza and I have a family to think about now." Alex explained.

"Sometimes families are better when the parents are separated." John explained. "Hell- you know how much better my life got when my mom left my dad? The day we moved out felt like fucking Christmas."

"Well your dad was an asshole-"

"So is Eliza." John cut in, shrugging.

"You've never liked Eliza." Alex pointed out. "Why?" He asked.

John shrugged a bit. "I don't know. She just was never my cup of tea. She was always rude about me and you being friends and like... she literally told you not to invite me to your wedding. That just made me so angry."

"And she just... I don't know, I could tell she wasn't as good of a person as she was leading you to believe."

Alexander nodded a bit. "That wedding thing was like our first big fight." He laughed. "She wasn't so crazy then so it was just us being very passive aggressive and angry with each other for like a week."

John just nodded softly. "She gets mad when I hang out here. Like I told her I had a business meeting today when I'm reality, I just wanted to hang out with you. I feel like I shouldn't have to lie about that though. Like you're my friend. It's not like we're sleeping together or anything." Alexander shrugged.

John laughed a bit awkwardly. "Yeah." He nodded along.

"I don't know. She just seems to think that you get me to cheat on her. I don't understand why." Alex mumbled.

"Yeah, I'm not sure either. It's weird." John shrugged.

Alex went to reply but there was a knock on the door that interrupted him.

"That's probably Francis." John explained, getting up. "You should probably get going. Text me if you need anything, yeah? I'll be there in a moments count." He explained.

Alex nodded. "Of course. I'll see you later, John." He said as he walked to the door with John. He opened the door and smiled gently to his boyfriend.

"Hey, honey." John smiled. "Come in." He assured. Francis came in and Alex left, John shutting the door.

"These are for you." Francis assured, handing John the bouquet of flowers. John smiled softly and took them. "Thank you." He said softly, carrying them into the kitchen and putting them in a vase.

"What was up with Alexander?" Francis asked with a hum, walking with John into the kitchen as he did so.

"Nothing. He just wanted to hang but I told him he had to go when you came over." John hummed a bit.

Francis smiled and kissed John's cheek. He could tell how close Alexander and John were. He did make him slightly jealous but he tried his best to push it away. He trusted John not to do anything to hurt him like that.

"I'm thinking we just order some stuff from that vegan place down the street." John suggested.

"Are you thinking of going vegan?" Francis hummed in delight as John took his hand and played with the bracelets on Francis's wrist.

John shrugged. "I don't know. I mean, we are both already vegetarian and going vegan is good for the environment and it has a lot of benefits. I don't think I'll go completely vegan for a while but slowly switching to it seems fun." He said.

Francis nodded. "Well, I think that's an excellent idea, babe." He smiled and kissed his cheek again. "We can get some food from that vegan place then." He agreed.

John smiled a bit and planted a small kiss on Francis's lips. "You're perfect." He said softly to him. "That's you." Francis smiled.

John ordered from the restaurant through door dash, him getting some vegan Mac and cheese and Francis getting a vegan pasta dish. After their food arrived, they sat on the couch, cuddled to one another while they watched a show that John picked out.

After they both finished their food, Francis put his empty container on the coffee table. John had already finished and was sipping a soda while watching the screen.

"Come on. Let's dance." Francis said, breaking John's concentration from the screen.

John laughed softly. "What?" He asked.

"Let's dance. Come here." Francis stood up and held his hand out for John to take, which he did.

John smiled as they swayed in the living room. There wasn't music, just the two men enjoying each other's touch.

Francis felt so much love in his heart with that moment with John. He just couldn't wait. He knew he wanted to spend his life with John.

"Hey, John, I gotta tell you something. And you may not be ready to say it yet and that's okay. I don't want you to feel rushed into everything and don't feel bad if you aren't ready. I totally understand and I won't be upset or-" Francis started before John cut him off with a kiss.

Francis seemed to tense a bit less when John's lips were on his. He relaxed and felt like he was alright.

John pulled away. "It's okay, Francis. I love you too." He said.

Francis couldn't help the big smile that formed across his face. "Really?" He asked. John had never told him he loved him back during the entire three years they dated before.

"Yes really. I'm sorry it took me so long to say but I'm ready now and I just... I love you." John said.

It felt wrong. He did feel a better connection with Francis than before. Like their souls had intertwined.

But was that love?

John wasn't sure. But he knew he had to make this one count. He knew that if he and Francis would stay together, he needed to love him.

Or at least say he did.

Plus, maybe if he said it enough, it would come true.

"I love you so much..." Francis said, kissing John.

John laughed softly and smiled against his lip.

"I love you too."