19.

"I have court today." Alexander said softly, putting on his tie.

"Like just in general or divorce court?" John asked, brushing his teeth.

They were on the phone. It was seven thirty in the morning. John had moved in with Francis a little over a month ago and Alex had moved completely into John's old apartment. He still went to every one of Eliza's doctors appointment and tried to be there. He still cared for her and the child.

His relationship with John had changed. It's like their roles had reversed. John was taken and in love with another while Alex was completely stuck on John.

The only difference was that Alex couldn't hide his feelings for shit. He constantly tried to make moves on John. He brought up how they had already slept together once and how they would be a better couple. In all honesty, it was hurting John a lot. After so long, he was finally moving on to someone else and now, Alex had feelings for him and John was marrying someone else.

It was slowly tearing John up.

"Divorce. We're officially signing today and then next week, custody court. You don't need to come today if you don't want but if really like you to come next week." Alex said, putting on his blazer.

"I will. Tuesday?" John asked, spitting in the sink before getting some water to rinse.

"Mhm. At eight. I want you there to testify against Eliza and how she would be an unfit mother." Alexander explained.

"I'll be there." John assured, spitting out the water now and wiping his mouth.

"Thank you." Alexander smiled. "Do you want to come over later? Maybe share a beer or something?"

"I don't know if that's a good idea, Alex." John said softly. "Last time we drank together, you were very touchy." He mumbled.

"I won't this time." Alex assured. "I still don't think it's a good idea." John said. "I'm sorry." He said.

"No, no. It's fine. You have a right to decline." Alex said, even if he was hurt that John didn't want to hang out with him.

"I- uh- I got to go anyways. I'm gonna be late and that wouldn't look good for me." Alex coughed softly.

"Yeah, yeah. Good luck." John said.

"Yeah. I'll talk to you later." Alex said before hanging up, leaning on the wall and sighing.

He really just wished he could be with John. He really did. Something just seemed to snap in him when John was genuinely in love with Francis. It broke Alex. He was crazy jealous.

Alexander fixed himself up before driving to the court house. He could basically feel Eliza's glares from across the room.

"Your honor. I'm filing for divorce with Elizabeth Schuyler over a constant string of abuse, lying, and adultery. Our marriage is broken beyond prepare. And as you can see, we signed a prenuptial agreement." Alexander explained. "In the agreement, all of our income stays amongst the one who earned it. This means I will keep my wealth from work. She will keep the wealth from her family."

Court went on. It lasted a couple hours before the two officially signed and sent off papers for divorce, knowing they would take a couple months to be approved.

"I hope you're happy. Leaving me and your child alone when I've done nothing but love you." Eliza spat to him as they walked out.

"I am not leaving my child with you. I will get custody of our son." Alexander muttered back, walking away to his car and getting in. He sighed and drove back to his apartment. He went to the fridge and sipped his beer, undoing his tie a bit.

He laughed to himself and looked at the beverage, remembering the first time him and John had gotten drunk together. They were fourteen and had snuck some liquor from John's dads cabinet.

They went to John's room and Alexander was throwing his guts up. The night was a blur to him but he did remember waking up in John's bed, his friend holding him to his chest.

Alexander and John had been very touchy before Eliza came around. They'd cuddle and hug a lot. People would think they were secretly dating but they weren't. Things changed when Alex started dating Eliza. She told Alex it was strange and how it made her uncomfortable. So Alexander stopped.

There were even a few times when the two got really close to kissing but nothing had happened until recently.

Alexander sighed, thinking about high school as he held the beer bottle close. He felt so numb. He felt defeated. He had the chance to be with John for so long. And now that chance was gone. Because John was getting married. And there was nothing Alexander could do about that.

He had lost his chance and that upset him. It really upset him.

Alex sighed, slumping to his room and crawling in bed, putting the bottle on his nightstand and calling John's number.

John woke up with his phone going off. He yawned, sitting up and rubbing his eyes a bit as he grabbed his phone and answered.

"Mmm, hello?" He mumbled tiredly.

"We should hang out this weekend and relive high school for a bit. I'm feeling really lonely and nostalgic." Alexander said.

"You woke me up for that?" John laughed tiredly, eyes half open. "I mean, it sounds fun, but you really woke me up for that?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to hear your voice." Alex said.

"You okay, Lex?" John asked.

"Mhm. I'm fine, John. Just fine."