-Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

"Sorry!"

"You're playing dirty, Candy." Justin said behind me.

"I'm not playing dirty, I'm winning." I said as I finished my third lap with him close behind me.

I kept blocking his way until out of nowhere he came next to me.

"See ya later alligator." He said as he zoomed past me. Not this time.

I kept up with him until we crossed the finish line with me winning by two inches. Or so I thought.

"It's a draw." The instructor said. My mouth dropped open.

"What?" I quizzed, "I'm quite certain I won."

"No Miss, it is a draw." The instructor said like a well oiled machine. It seemed like he had heard that sentence one too many times.

"Thank you for your services, I think the lady needs ice cream to drown her surrows." Justin told the instructor.

"Thank you sir." I added. We exited the course.

"So my Candy is competitive, I should've known." Justin cooed as I popped my bottom lip out.

"Oh shut it." I muttered. He opened the door for me. I entered and sat down, thanking him. He sat in his seat and put on his seatbelt. Then the car took off.

"Besides you not winning, did you have fun?" He asked.

"Yes I did," I replied, "playing bumper cars with you was my favourite part." I grinned.

"Funny." Justin said as I chuckled.

I watched as he didn't turn at the intersaction that took us back to my apartment.

"I'm guessing my apartment is not our destination." I said as he took my hand and placed our hands on my lap.

"The day is still young, my love."

• • •

"And you fell off a tree?" I burst into laughter. He nodded his head his eyes still in disbelief of the distant memory.

"I learnt that not all trees are meant to climb."

"And you had to learn that the hard way." I shook my head. I took a piece of candy floss and put it in my mouth. It melted onto my tongue dissolving the sugary treat on my tongue.

The Sun was already setting on the horizon of the beach next to Coney Island. We spent the entire afternoon exploring the family park even going as far as climbing on some of the many rides against Justin's will.

Now we are just strolling down the beach enjoying the sunset. Even with the autumn weather slowly creeping in the weather was still good. We sat down on the sand.

I cast a longing look at the ocean. It's waves rolling swiftly onto shore teasing the feet of a two teenage girls. They shriek running away from the shore.

When I was a teenager, Serenity and I would have dipped our feet into the water until they almost reach the hem of our shorts. I chuckled at the thought.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I turned to face him before looking back at the rough waters.

"It's just a silly thought." I replied.

"Have you been in the ocean ever since your incident?" Justin asked. I chuckled nodding my head.

"I went back in two days after I was discharged but things weren't the same anymore."

"You couldn't swim anymore?" He asked, confused.

"No, I could still swim. I just couldn't surf anymore." I replied, chuckling at his shocked face.

"So she's a surfer too." Justin teased and I rolled my eyes with a gentle smile on my face.

"Was a surfer." I corrected.

"Your love for the ocean is embedded in your eyes. I don't think you ever stopped being a surfer."

"My love for the ocean doesn't make me a surfer. I'm not as good as I used to be. The incident took that away." I sighed, craddling my legs in my arms.

"Whether you're a surfer or not I'd like to see you surf someday."

"Really?" I asked, craning my head to look at him.

"Mmh," he kissed my forehead, "maybe catch a glimpse of your gorgeous body in a bikini too."

"Pervert." I muttered as I lay my head on his shoulder. His arm wrapped around me as we watched the night fall in the sky.

"Justin?"

"Mmm."

"How about we make a deal, you'll get to see me surf onky if i get to see you rock climb. " I suggested.

"You just want a front row seat to see me fall, don't you?" He questioned and I giggled.

"Would it make me a bad partner if I said yes?" I smiled sheepishly.

"Very bad," he shook his head in mock disappointment, "but I'll make you eat up your words."

"I look forward to it." I said.

"So do I."

The sky swallowed the Sun as it turned dark. "Can we go on one more ride?" I asked him as we both dusted sand off our clothing.

"Sure," he answered, "which one?"

"The ferris wheel."

"Cliche."

*****

Hello there!

I was writing my chemistry test earlier on and it went good...I think. I'm writing my Accounting test tomorrow and I'm feeling all kinds of depression. Anyone else feeling tired of school?🤒

Anyway...anyone ever been go-karting? I personally haven't but my friend has and it looks like fun. So I think I'll add go-karting on my to-do list now.

I know I say this a lot but thank you for supporting my book. It means a lot and I love you guys so much!❤

Until next time Candy readers...

XOXO
Khanya.