40. Changing Feelings

Start from the beginning

"Claude!"

You ran happily to him. He was seated on the sofa, his back to you. Wrapping your arms around his neck and you cuddled him from behind.

"Careful now. You'll drop my drink." Was the first words he said as he closed his eyes exhaling as you snuggled on his head like a touch-starved kitty.

Getting used to your random hugs was tough but he was pretty used to it now. So you weren't sent flying over his head.

"Sorry. I'm happy to see you." You said, got on your toes and bent your neck to look into his pretty blue eyes.

He looked blankly at your upside-down grinning face, your weighting pressing on him. His nose twitched as your strands brushed against his forehead while his soft hair tickled your nose so that you almost sneezed.

"I've been gone only for 2 days."

You nodded and almost lost your balance. "I know. But it feels like decades. I'm so used to your presence that it feels weird when you're not there."

His ears turned pink and he coughed. "I'm here now. So take your fill and stop saying embarrassing stuff."

You giggled at his flustered state before, getting back on your feet and looking around. "Where is Felix?"

"He's busy with training. Won't make it."

You frowned. "Aren't they being a little too strict? At this rate, all knights would fall sick."

"I don't think the Emperor cares as long as he gets what he wants." Claude put down the cup with a solid clank.

Your frown deepened as you uncoiled your arms and let him go. You were worried for Felix. What if he overworked himself and got sick?

"He will be alright. Don't underestimate him." As if reading your mind, Claude assured you.

"I'm not. I know Felix has the will of steel but still, he is a human. He needs rest too."

You plopped beside him with a heavy sigh. Claude didn't answer, you took his silence as agreement to your statement.

"Greetings, your Highness." Penelope's voice made you turn around with a sheepish grin. You totally forgot about her!

Claude's face became colder as his eyes dipped into an emotionless glare.

"Lady Penelope." His curt reply made you want to facepalm. You forgot just how allergic he was to other people. Was he upset that Penelope tagged along with you?

Well, at least he was not ignoring her, entirely. You awkwardly sat beside him.

Penelope smiled, seeming pleased at not being ignored. She went to sit beside you but your cat Ether was already present there, munching on a chocolate chip cookie.

As soon as she saw him glaring at her, she did a U-turn and sat as far away as possible from him.

You sweat-dropped. Ether was quite famous for tearing every new dress Penelope brought. Of course, she wouldn't want to be anywhere near him.

Penelope opposite you, smiling. You had no choice but to smile back at her.

Thankfully before your cheeks could start hurting from all the awkward smiling, Lady Robane came in with refreshments and lots of delicious-looking desserts. Your mouth watered at the sight.

"Please enjoy yourself."

You eyed her in concern as she set down everything on the table, she looked pale. You were not the only one who took notice of her sick complexion.