#67

Headmaster POV

The headmaster was startled awake by a distant rumble. It had been a while that he succumbed  to sleep, but he couldn't help it. Although he wanted to remain awake and vigilant, his body disagreed.  After two weeks of sleeplessness, it was time for his body to give up and on his desk he had fallen asleep.

Life had a way of twisting its branches  that no matter how far you climbed or how much you mastered the tree, you could fall hard, back to the ground. And that was exactly what had happened.

The headmaster had been so sure, that there wasn't a single portal remaining that could transport any demon, in or out of Valhalla.  He was certain because he had ordered the destruction himself.  But as he raced to the great door of Valhalla academy,  he could see the fear in the warrior's eyes and he could hear the whispers.

"What type of demon is that?" He heard one of the fire benders whisper.

"I have no idea." Her friend had responded.

His mind went wild in wonder and just as he was about to take the last corner to reach the gate, his name was called.

"Headmaster!"

It was Vic, the headmaster was satisfied with the boy. Even though he wasn't a captain,  he surely was a very strong contender.

" What is it boy? As you can see, I'm not ready for a chit-chat." 

"Yeah, neither am I. It's about the demon outside the gate,  the warriors on night watch who had seen him first, reported that it wasn't one that is known."

"Boy! Don't waste my time, are you here to tell me something I know?" 

Vic looked a little shameful, but couldn't let it dissuade him from his assignment. That was the thing about the headmaster,  he would sometimes seem vicious and unkind, maybe he was really unkind, but where exactly did kindness take anyone. His character is what brought respect to him. That is why he is the headmaster and not anyone else.  

"I'm going with you," Vic finally said.

The headmaster gave no reply, and continued on his way to the gate.

Vic followed closely behind without another word.

On getting to the gate, it was pulled open and what the headmaster saw made him come to a stop.

"Laccarmee!" The headmaster stated.

"The fact you recognize what I am, tells me you are the right person I am looking for."  Came the steely voice of the creature.

"As far as I remember,  you are meant to be  non-existent."

"And as far as I remember,  you Valkyries are said to be more welcoming than this."

"What do you want?" The headmaster replied.

"No, the right question is what can I do for you? I'm not here to take, rather I'm here to give you some information."

The headmaster quickly became alert, and mind linked Vic who stood almost hidden by the gate.

"Hey boy, get the archers by the gate, and ready their arrows. Get as much water controllers as fast as you can, they should all remain alert and ready for an attack."

The headmaster was satisfied with the quick response,  and almost as quickly as he gave the order, his warriors were positioned.

"Now, let me ask again.  What brings you here?"

"No need for all that now," the scaled creature responded. "I'm only here because I care about something and someone in your possession.  But the thing here is that, along with your special Captains, she is walking into a trap set by the demon king.