39. Unexpected Appearances

Start from the beginning

"Debutante?" You tilted your head in confusion.

Claude shot you a amused look. "It's coming of age ceremony where a girl makes her official debut in society. Marking her eligible in social faction and heiarchy. How come you don't know about it?"

"Oh. I actually heard about it but I don't know the details." You sheepishly said.

Penelope tried to join in but Claude cut her off, not giving her a chance.

"Hmm. Let's see. So far I know. A girl makes her debute on her 14th birthday."

Huh? You thought girls normally debuted at the age of 18 according to all the historical manhwa you read. Maybe it's different here.

"14, huh? I still got one year then."

"One year too short, little sister!" Penelope said incredulously. "You need years to perfect your dance moves. Years! You can't just learn it in one year. You need to choice a partner who is single and eligible. There is couple dance then group dance with all other girls. So learning dance is essential."

"There is dancing?!" You asked horrified listening to her ramble.

Claude chuckled. "You're going to make a fool out of yourself."

"Don't jinx it!"

"Don't worry, little sister. I will help you with it. I don't think you can master it perfectly but we could work with it." Penelope said doubt clear in her voice as she tried to cheer you up.

Nah, Dancing..? Nope. I think I'd rather break my legs then as in Claude words make a fool out of myself. Dancing requires energy and all your energy was already being spent on your classes. Where the hell would you find energy to learn dancing?!

"I think I'll pass. Can't I just skip it?" You asked hopefully.

"Stop being a girl." Claude said amusement lacing his words. "And you don't have to learn dancing."

"That's impossible! Totally not possible! How the hell one change one's gender, huh?!"

"Then you're doomed."

Penelope again being left out sighed in frustration, as she tried to interject herself into the conversation to no avail.

You narrowed your eyes at his sarcasm. "Do you know dancing?"

He gave you smug smirk. "I'm perfect in it. I had to learn it when I was little even though it was pointless. It comes along with being a royal member. You've to perfect everything."

"Sounds tough. I'm glad I'm not you. But....I can't imagine you dancing." You tried imagining Claude dancing but all you got was a annoyed Claude yeeting his partner out of the ballroom with a 'go die, you suck' attitude. This guy can be every bit arrogant and picky when comes to doing something that requires unnecessary energy. He was way more lazy than you when it comes at expending energy.

You tapped your chin in thought. "You're perfect in dancing and I need a dance partner. Hmm? Claude, be my partner."

You said in serious tone, giving Claude the most dead serious look. Claude eyed you  for a moment before looking forward.

"Sure."

Your serious expression broke into wide grin. "For real?! I expected you to straight up reject me. Thank you!! You're my hero." You bumped your shoulder with his.

"E-eh?"  Penelope breathed out in shock.

Claude rolled his eyes. "I don't want to hear you nag me day and night. I can spare you one dance."