River of Dreams: Chapter 10

Yay! Remember to vote and comment :) I luv you guys! Everyone who reads, votes, comments, and fans make me so happy and inspires me to continue writing. The encouragement rocks. And I'm almost at 1,000 reads! I'm so happy!

 ================================================================

Chapter 10

“But that’s what life is all about, kiddo. Living through the good and bad, and – with any luck – having battle scars that heal.”—Tina Reber, Unscripted Love

*

 "Amy."

Oh for the love of all things holy, not again!

"Amy?"

I shifted in my warm covers ever so slightly, not wanting to give myself away that I wasn't lost in Dreamland anymore.

"Amy!!"

I groaned. Why won't she just leave me alone? Ever since I got the "Okay" from the doctor to come home, she's been hovering over me 24/7. I couldn't even suffer through a fever without her constantly barging into my room and demanding if I needed anything, and going insane whenever I refused to answer.

The thing is, the only way you can handle my mom is if you take her in small doses. Since I've been alone with her all week, now would be the perfect time for someone to call Poison Control, so I don't die from overexposure and blow up in her face the next time she comes into my room uninvited.

"Amy? Get up! Your friends are here!" she exclaimed. The irritation in her voice rung as loud and clear as a church bell. I could picture her now. Arms folded across her chest, foot tapping impatiently on the carpet, full pink lips dipping down at the corners towards the center of the earth. And if she looked anything like she did the last time she was in my room, her blond hair would be up in a messy bun with little wisps fluttering around her pale face while she pranced around in mix-match outfits (more "mixed" than "matched").

When my mom starts wearing random crap, that's a sign that the world is coming to an abrupt end. I mean, she would sooner eat French escargot than spend one second looking less than perfect. 

I curled up into a ball like a lazy kitten, bracing for the things to come. It was obvious that she already knew that I was awake, and the fact that I was ignoring her request was most likely pissing her off even more . . . but it wasn't my fault! One of the many things the doctor prescribed: more than our nation's worth of sleep. 

"No!!" I screamed like a whiny child. My lungs protested the sudden intake and exhale of air, painfully reminding me of my week of near disuse. Boy, I've missed the sound of my own voice.

"What do you mean 'no'?!" Mom countered. "Amy, you better get your butt out of this bed right this instant, or else I'm going to make you get out!"

"Five more minutes!" I begged, burying my head under my plush pillow. I took another deep breath and settled deeper into my covers, melting into the delightful scent of clean laundry, embracing the toaster-like atmosphere. 

"Do you see this?" she chirped. "Please tell me she doesn't act like this at school."

"Uh . . . she doesn't, Miss," replied a familiar voice, low and lyrical, like music to my melody-starved ears. An involuntary smile spread across my face as I drunk in the sound. 

There was a low mumbling on the other side of the room and little snippets of conversation drifted back to me. "Hey . . . you two . . . like this. . . NOW!!"

My eyes shot open as everything tilted to the right. I was rolling . . . falling . . . screaming . . . crashing . . . moaning . . . hurting. Great; a new external pain to add to the numerous internal ones.