"Other ways?" I ask with a frown. "How many times have we used these 'other ways' in the past?"

"It's not for you to worry about."

"So, what does happen to all those towns and villages after we leave?" Jade asks.

Of course we know what happens, but we need for her to say it. Therefore we can have it as evidence when the trial starts. Because of course Kuvira will inevitably go to prison after all of this.

"Yeah, I just realized we'd never really... gone back and checked on them," Bolin says skeptically.

Kuvira rises and walks around the table to face the three of us. I'm physically shaking, I can't help it. She's going to kill us, I just know it. But hey, it's not my first rodeo. I've almost died before. This time will just be a little different... Because I'll actually be dead.

"Those people are my loyal subjects, and they contribute to the Empire however I see fit. Now that you're all in the inner circle, you're going to have to accept some hard truths."

"Maybe ... We're not really 'inner circle' kind of people," Jade replies more confident than I ever could.

We understand that our goal was to be put in the inner circle, but this is too much. It would be much better to leave and help Zaofu instead of staying here.

"Or- or maybe, we don't take over Zaofu!" Bolin interrupts trying to diffuse the situation. "Maybe we can just... let them be on their own, and then, Yay! The Empire's united! Congratulations to us!"

Bolin then falters and cowers behind me as Kuvira advances towards him angrily.

"I didn't know your personal feelings for Opal and Wing were stronger than your loyalty to me," she says aggressively to us.

I look over at Jade, and she looks pissed. Her hands are balled in a fist, and her eyebrows are knotted up in a frown.

"Zaofu will join us," Kuvira starts again. "The only thing I'm second-guessing, is my decision to bring you three along. Maybe you all need to spend some time in a reeducation camp."

"I ... thought that's where we sent people to learn new trade skills," Bolin says as his voice starts to quiver. I gulp, as I'm starting to feel even more uneasy.

"Hard truths, Bolin," Baatar says.

"Your loyalty seems to be wavering," Kuvira says to us.

"No- no," I jump in to save my best friend. "We're totally on your side, completely, one-hundred-percent on your side. Bolin here just... Didn't understand, but he's good now, I promise."

...

I burst through my door and head straight to my dresser where all of my belongings are being held. I take everything I need and start stuffing them into a small backpack.

"What are you doing?" Jade whispers as she trails in behind me and shuts our door.

"What do you mean?" I whisper yell back at her. "First, I'm telling Bolin everything, and then we're leaving- The three of us."

"Kitty, no. We can't leave. Kuvira will kill us if we're caught."

"Did you not see what happened in there? If we question Kuvira again, she's going to explode on us. And knowing Bolin, he's definitely going to ask more questions. Kuvira's patience is running thin, and she's almost out. I'm not going to be here when that happens. Listen, you and Bolin are my best friends, and I'm not letting you guys stay here. We need to leave, now. Please, Jade."

Her frown disappears and she sighs.

"Fine."

"Thank you. Now come on, we need to get out of here."