He didn't say anything about a partner.

"Kitty, I'd like for you to meet..." he starts as he opens the door for my partner,"Jade."

She walks in- oh wow, already so intimidating. With her head held high, she strides in, and her beautiful green eyes are hard as they land on me. Her hair is in a perfectly tight bun, and she's dressed in a traditional Zaofu guards outfit. She's around my age, maybe a little older- oh, she definitely works out.

She's pretty.

"Hi, Jade! It's a pleasure. My name's -

"I know who you are. Your name is Kitty. You're a master waterbender from the Southern Watertribe, your dad's the chief and your mom's a housewife and a teacher. You were trained by Master Kya and Master Katara, your sister is the Avatar- Oh, and you claim you can airbend."

"Excuse me? I'm not claiming anything. I can airbend," I tell her as I surprise her with a puff of air in the face. " I don't know who you think you are, but-"

"Girls, girls," Raiko interrupts. "Now in order for this to work, you two need to get along. Kitty, Jade here is a new recruit of Su's. She hasn't worked there long, but she's already proven herself as determined, and a very strong bender who has always excelled above her peers. She learns quickly and is an observer who is already familiar with Kuvira and how she works. Jade, Kitty has trained with some of the best masters out there, and in two years alone, she's helped defeat some of the world's biggest threats. She's a master waterbender, and so far the world's only waterbending airbender. She's also been around people like Kuvira all her life as both her father, uncle, and her guardian are world leaders. You are both phenomenal at what you do, and together, you can be unstoppable, but you need to get along."

"Hm," I grunt while stubbornly crossing my arms over my chest and sticking my nose in the air. "She does sound pretty phenomenal."

I watch from my peripherals as Jade's stance falls slightly as she looks to me. I think I just saw a smile.

"Well," She says. "I guess she's pretty phenomenal, too."

"Ok," Raiko begins. "Now, let's begin. First off, your task is to get Kuvira to trust you both enough to join her inner circle. Whatever you gather from there, you report it to me or Lin, and only me and Lin. No one else can know about this."

"Wait," I stop him. "What do you mean no one else can know about this? What about our families, or our friends... Or Wing?"

"Wing?" Jade asks. "You mean Suyin's son? The twin?"

"Yeah ... he's kind of my boyfriend."

"Suyin and her family hate Kuvira," Jade says."What is he gonna say when you tell him you're working for her?"

Yeah, what is he going to say?

"Listen to me," Raiko says. "I know this is going to be hard. A lot of people are going to be mad at you, but it's important you tell no one about this. We don't want another Aiwei situation. The only ones who know will be me, Lin, Tenzin, and Kitty's father. So that means, no telling friends, family... or boyfriends." He says the last part looking at me.

What in the world am I going to do?

...

After Jade and I accepted Raiko's offer, we got to know each other and quickly became friends. I learned she was born in Ba Sing Se, but grew up in Zaofu. After she turned 18 and graduated, she went straight into work as a guard for Suyin and her family. She learned she was a bender at a young age, and at one point, her parents thought she was the Avatar- Even though that wouldn't make sense. After they learned she wasn't, she was shipped off to Zaofu to live with her grandparents so she could train in the art of metalbending. She's done a lot more for Zaofu then Raiko gave her credit for. Let's just say, behind Zaofu, the safest city in the world, are guards like Jade who have put their lives on the line to keep it that way.