Ch.21 It Begins

By the time Elena made it to Music class, she allowed herself to take a seat next to Terrence who smiled once she saw her.

"Hey."

"Hey back," she replied.

"Where's Olivia?"

"Huh," she looked around, realizing that Olivia wasn't in class yet, "That's weird, I thought she'd be here by now."

"I'm sure she'll show up soon."

"Yeah. So, how are you?"

"I'm good," he answered with a small smile, "You?"

"I'm good," she answered back when she spotted an acoustic guitar by his seat, "Is that you're guitar?"

"Oh, no. It belongs to the class, I'm just borrowing it."

"Right," she grinned, "Olivia told me that you're learning to play the guitar."

"She told you that?"

"Yep," she nodded, "How's that going for you?"

"Honestly," he breathed out, "Not so well. It's a lot harder than I thought."

"No offense but, if it's hard for you, then why are you learning how to play it?"

"Because it's just something I want to try out. I've always liked the idea of playing an instrument. Not because I want to play it for people, but just for myself."

"Do you write songs?"

"Oh," he nervously replied while rubbing the back of his neck, "Uh, no. I have tried before, but I can't do it."

"Yes, you can. You just need to find the right inspiration. Writing a song is like writing poetry, have you at least written a poem before?"

"I have actually," he nodded.

"Okay then, so you at least have a bit of experience. But writing a song is just the first step, the second step is matching it up with the tune of the instrument. Can I see the guitar?"

Terrence handed over the guitar as Elena placed it on her lap. She then took off the purple guitar pick that was attached to the cord around her neck.

"Where did you get that guitar pick?" he asked her.

"My dad. I've been playing music since I was 10. He gave it to me when I got my first guitar at age 12."

She began to tug on the strings of the guitar to test the tuning.

"Okay," she said, "This guitar is seriously out of tune."

"Oh," Terrence awkwardly muttered, "Well uh, I am still learning."

"It's okay, it's not always easy to find the right tune."

Elena continued to tune the guitar until it was perfect. And once it was ready, she began to play a soft song, not knowing that it was gathering everyone's attention, even those who entered the music room. They were all amazed by how well she was playing the guitar, even Terrence was beginning to feel a warm feeling inside as he watched her with astonishment. And as soon as she stopped playing, everyone applauded which made her jump a little.

"Oh!" she exclaimed as she began to laugh, "I totally forgot that there were people in here!"

"Amazing!" Mr. Carson cheered, "That was wonderful, Miss Jensen! Where did you learn to play the guitar?"

"Oh uh, my dad. And I took lessons from a teacher when I was young."

"Well, you were amazing," he beamed as everyone agreed with smiles on their faces.