Ch.14 Magic Mirror

(Flashback)

Taking Faybelle's suggestion, which is a first for her, Raven rushed back inside the school, nearly bumping into Lizzie Heart and Kitty Cheshire who she quickly apologized to before heading over to the headmaster's office where she gave a knock on the door.

"Come in," she heard him say as she opened the door.

"Miss Queen," Milton spoke while sitting up straight, "What can I do for you?"

"Is my mom's shattered mirror still up in the tower?" she asked.

"I believe so, why?"

"I need to see it, I need to try something very important."

Once again, he didn't say a word as he went ahead and pressed the secret button to open the secret passageway.

"Thank you," Raven said as she hurried into the passageway, down the long hall, up the flight of stairs, and soon into the attic.

Once she saw the shattered mirror, she couldn't help but gasp at the sight. It was strange to not see her mother inside the mirror. As soon as she can find a way to deal with this curse, Raven was going to find the culprit who shattered the mirror that freed her mother. As she stepped towards the mirror while being careful not to step on any of the shards, Raven took a deep breath while gazing down at her hands.

"I hope this works."

Once she was ready, she began to conjure up a spell while waving her hands over the mirror shards.

Magic Mirror that's broken in bits. Fix yourself so I may hear your wits.

As soon as she said the spell, Raven used her dark magic to sent the shards back into the mirror as she watched them put themselves back together into the mirror frame. And after the final touch of magic, the mirror was fixed, not a single scratch could be seen. For a second, Raven expected to see her mother on the other side, but then she remembered that her mother was no longer in the Mirror Realm. Except for maybe the Mirror Spirit himself.

"Well," the mirror suddenly spoke as Raven let out a gasp.

Like her mother and other evil villains, the mirror's voice was just as scary to listen to as Raven felt goosebumps coating her arms.

"Raven Queen," the mirror spoke, "My, how you've grown. You look more like your mother every day."

Raven shoved the comment out of her head as she gathered up her bravery while standing tall.

"Magic Mirror," she spoke, "I'm sure you know why I'm here."

"Your mother has escaped from the Mirror Realm and now you fear that she's planning on casting the Dark Curse onto Ever After High. Even though the scroll is hidden from her, you still fear that she might find it and are wondering if I know something about the curse."

"Wow," Raven remarked impressed "You really do know everything. So what do you know about the Dark Curse? Can it be prevented?"

"Only by destroying the scroll. But you know that it's not that simple to destroy an ancient scroll like that, especially one containing dark spells. Even if the scroll gets destroyed, the spells still live on and can still be cast if the castor memorizes the spells."

"So you're saying that I should destroy the scroll?"

"You can try. But wouldn't that put your father at risk of being discovered since he was the one who hid the scroll?"

"Oh," Raven sadly replied, "Right. But is there any other way to prevent the curse from being cast?"

The mirror let out a small deep laugh, "Oh Raven, it's obvious that you don't know much about the Dark Curse, but I do."

"You do?" she gasped, "Then is it true about what it does? It'll trap everyone in the Land Without Magic where they'll forget who they are?"

"At least you know that part."

"Oh, my Fairy Godmother," Raven gasped with terror, "Tell me everything you know about the Dark Curse."

"Well, it's a curse that's never been cast before."

"What?"

"It was created a long time by someone who never got the chance to cast her curse. And because of that, the curse was kept a secret from the world for many years."

"Then how did my mother find out about it?"

"That is something you should ask her yourself."

"Seriously?" she muttered, "Are you saying that because you don't know, or because you're just being a jerk?"

"Does it matter?"

Raven let out a groan, "Okay then, what else do you know about this curse? Can it be broken if it does get cast?"

"Well... that's a yes and a no."

"Huh?"

"There are no records of a spell that can break this curse. However, if it does get cast, there is a chance of partially breaking the curse."

Raven was more confused, "What do you mean by that? How can a curse be partially broken?"

"There are many ways to break a curse, but since the Dark Curse has never been cast before, no one knows how to fully break it. But the part of the curse where it talks about erasing everyone's memories and replacing them with cursed ones, that was only added by the original castor later on after she finished creating the curse. And because of that, there is a chance of breaking that part of the curse if it does get cast. There may not be a way to fully break the curse, but a piece of it can be broken, that is if you can find the cure for that."

"Oh, come on!" Raven complained, "Are you saying that because you really don't know? Or are you just being a jerk again?"

The Mirror laughed, "Who said that I was being a jerk again?"

"Ugh!" she groaned before forcing herself to calm down, "Okay, so if I'm going to prevent this curse, the only way to do that is to destroy the scroll, unfortunately, that's a risky move, especially for my dad since he was the one who hid it. But if this curse were to get cast, there is no known answer to fully breaking the curse, only partially by giving everyone back their memories which is another unknown answer. So overall, you're saying that we're all screwed."

"You can say that."

"Ugh!" Raven groaned again, this time even louder, "You know what? I refuse to believe any of that, there has to be another way to prevent my mother from casting the curse if she does find the scroll. And if it does get cast, there has to be a way to fully break it. I may not know the answers to any of that, but I'm going to find out."

"Suit yourself. But that's going to be hard without my help."

"Oh really?" she doubted while crossing her arms, "I thought you said you didn't know how to break the curse."

"I don't, but I do know a way to help if it does get cast. There's a certain object that can't help break the curse, but it will be useful at the right moment during the curse."

"What kind of object?"

"An object that's found deep within the Vault of Lost Tales. You're going to need this."

Raven soon felt something being placed in her hand. She looked to see that it was a bronze key with a black feather at the top.

"This should help you find the object," the Mirror said, "Don't forget, it won't help break the curse, but you are going to need it if the curse happens."

And with that, the light faded away from the mirror, most likely meaning that the mirror had finished talking to Raven. Now with the key, Raven knew what she must do. But not until she gathers one more item to help her find this certain object.