Ch.3 Mirror Alert

(Flashback)

It was quiet that night at Ever After High, and everyone was sound asleep in their dorms. Well, everyone except the Evil Queen who was still awake in her mirror prison. For some reason, something felt different this night. She felt the presence that someone was in the tower where her magic mirror was. She decided to have a look, but she saw nothing. That is until she spotted a figure upon the open window. A figure wearing a dark hood that allowed him or her to blend in with the night. The Evil Queen had no idea who this person was and how they got onto the window considering how high the tower was. There could be many ways, but now wasn't the time to think about that because that's when the Evil Queen spotted something in the figure's raised hand.

"What in the world?" she confusedly remarked.

All of a sudden, the figure threw down their hand and allowed the object to fly towards the mirror. Instinct took over as the Queen shielded her face with her arms, and that's when she heard a sound she never thought she would hear again, the sound of a shatter. Could it be? Was she imagining things? When the Queen slowly lowered her arms, all she saw was the magenta-colored smoke. She didn't know what to do at this point until she decided to reach her hand out, expecting to feel the smooth surface of the mirror. But no, she didn't feel anything. She stepped closer... and closer until she felt herself tripping over a short ledge. When the smoke began to clear up, she found herself standing in a different area. An area that felt a bit familiar. After brushing away the rest of the smoke, she realized the great surprise.

The Queen wasn't in the mirror prison, she was, well, out of it. She gazed down to see the broken mirror shards alongside a large rock. So that must've been what the figure threw. Whoever that person was, he or she was clearly aiming for the mirror. And now the Evil Queen was out of her mirror prison. She was free once again! The Queen looked up at the open window to see that the figure had disappeared.

"Whoever you were," she felt herself sneering, "Thank you."

It took a moment to bring all of this in, but the Queen wasn't going to just stand here, she needed to go before anyone found out what happened. And at this moment, she knew exactly where she needed to go.

_________

Because it was still the weekend the next day, most would use this time to sleep in. But not for Raven and Apple. It was still early when Raven's Mirror Phones let out this loud alarm that immediately woke them up.

"What in the kingdom?" Raven groggily exclaimed as she reached out to pick up her phone off of her nightstand.

She had to rub her sleepy eyes to read the notification on the screen. And as soon as her eyesight cleared up, that's when she spotted the message that struck fear into her heart.

ALERT: RAVEN, THIS IS NOT A DRILL. YOUR MOTHER HAS ESCAPED HER MIRROR PRISON!

"Apple!" Raven cried out while jumping out of her bed and hurrying over to her roommate's bed where Apple had already woken up by the loud alert.

"Raven?" she tiredly muttered, "What's going on?"

"It's my mom! She's escaped her mirror prison!"

Now that fully woke up Apple.

"What?!" she gasped while jumping out of her bed.

"I just got an alert saying that she's escaped! Look!"

Raven showed her roommate the alert as Apple let out another gasp.

"How did she escape?!" Apple exclaimed in complete shock.

"That's what I'm gonna find out. I need to see Headmaster Grimm and see what happened."

Not wanting to leave her room while still in her nightwear, Raven threw on a quick shirt and pants as she hurried out of her dorm. How could her mother have escaped from her mirror prison? Desperate for an answer, Raven made her way to the headmaster's office where she barged in without even knocking to find Headmaster Grimm already at his desk, most likely knowing that she was going to show up.

"Miss Queen," he sat up straight in his chair, "Thank you for coming."

"What happened?" she demanded.

"I was doing my daily check to make sure nothing was wrong in the tower. But when I looked, the mirror was broken."

He pushed forward a large rock that was on his desk, "Somebody threw this rock at the mirror."

"What?!" Raven gasped, "Who the hex would do that?!"

"I was hoping that you might be able to find out. To be honest, for a minute I actually thought that it was you."

Raven frowned, "Seriously?"

"Yes. But after a moment, I realized that you couldn't have done this. Despite what I have thought, I know that you would never do anything like this."

For the first time, Raven didn't feel hurt by Milton Grimm. In fact, that was probably the nicest thing he's said to her so far.

"So here's what I want you to do," he added, "I want you to find out who did this. And while you're at it, please try to put your mother back into mirror prison."

"Of course," Raven nodded, "Now, I have no idea who would do this, but I'm going to find out."

"Thank you. I will let everyone know as soon as I'm ready. Until then, we should be on the lookout. I was kind of expecting your mother to show up here by now."

"We don't know what she's up to. But I will be prepared when she comes to see me because I know that is something she's going to do."

After an approving nod, Headmaster Grimm allowed Raven to leave. Both of them constantly wondering and looking around for the Evil Queen. Now that she was free, who knows what evil schemes she's planning on doing.