2 - Starched shirt

Start from the beginning

"Megan? She said she's staying out of it."

"Well, her friend is vocal."

"I hate this small town business."

"She has the support of her good friend, Patrick Bennett."

"Who?"

"Do you live under a rock? He's the well respected oral surgeon. Every high school kid ends up in his office."

Tessa shook her head. "Thankfully, I'm not looking to have my teeth pulled."

"Too bad. He's gorgeous."

Gorgeous made her think of David. Sweep. But the starch shirt also came to mind. Was he? Hadn't Lisa called him doctor?

She had only noticed a few features on the man she bumped into. He had a tanned complexion for March and dark hair with green eyes. David had dirty blond hair like her and blue eyes. She saw them every day. Both her girls had the same hair color and blue eyes. Chloe's was cut shorter, but Maya liked hers long. Tessa's was shoulder length for ease. It was short enough to wear down, but long enough for a ponytail.

At thirty-six, she was too old to dwell on a handsome stranger. Her last crush was the guy she saw every morning when she stopped for coffee. She could shut her eyes and see his smile. Of course Chloe had the same one. Sweep.

For a man she'd never heard of before, she suddenly kept hearing Dr. Bennett's name. Chloe was playing with Abbie, and Megan invited her inside when she came to pick her up.

"They're in Abbie's room having a great time."

Tessa looked around her friend's house. It was comfortable and spacious. It was by the beach, but not a cottage. Maya stood next to her until Megan's older daughter appeared and invited her upstairs.

"Come sit down if you're not in a hurry. Sophie will keep Maya entertained."

The table had an open laptop and was littered with piles of papers.

"You're not busy."

Megan waved her off. "Nah, I need a break. I've been reading essays all afternoon."

Tessa used to work six days a week, but she gave it up for her daughters.

Tessa said, "This thing has driven a wedge in the town. When will they decide?"

Megan rolled her eyes. "I'm sure they've decided. Neither option is ideal. My friend is a force, but she's that way about everything. She has a heart of gold and too much time on her hands."

Amy had been right about Megan's friend. "Who are the other forces on that side?"

"Some vocal parents. Honestly, a few of them are pains about everything." Tessa wondered if she meant the starched shirt. "Kristi has got Patrick involved. I can't tell if he cares or if he welcomes the distraction."

"Why?" She didn't let on, she knew who Patrick was

"Poor Erica was sick for a long time and since she's been gone." A shadow cast over Megan's face. "Anyway, Kristi was there for Erica and now Patrick. I'm surprised Dan, her husband, isn't jealous."

"Do you think there's a reason to be?"

Megan laughed. "Oh God, no! Dan's the only man who can handle my best friend." Tessa laughed. "She's nosey and loves the shock factor, but she's as loyal as they come."

Megan's husband came through the door with their son. Tessa hadn't seen the boy in a few months. He was a good-looking kid, but so was his father.

She turned to Megan. "Is he taller than you?"

She laughed. "Not yet. Tessa, you remember Peter?"

She nodded. "And you're Becka's brother."

He laughed. "Speaking of my sister, Victoria, her stepdaughter is heading to the beach with the dog. She wanted to know if the kids wanted to meet her."

"We need to be heading out."

Megan asked, "You sure? Sophie could take the girls to the beach."

"It's okay. We have a list of things to do."

As she drove away, she wondered what made her different? Megan thought nothing of her kids walking to the beach unsupervised. She needed to know she had everything under control. Part of it was her personality which made her successful, but the other part was to make up for what she had no control over. Sweep.

She drove back to The Point the following week to meet her friend Rachel for coffee. The Landing had the best coffee, even though there was only regular or decaf. Other than small, medium and large to-go cups and a mug, there were no other options. Still, something about the brew made it taste better than any other coffee.

She arrived early, which was unlike her. Tessa had first met Rachel in Maya's Kindergarten year. They instantly became friends because they shared a lot in common. She was an attorney who also gave up her big career. Rachel and her wife Korra had moved to Maine from Boston for a better life after their son was born. Rachel worked part time at a nonprofit and Korra was a dentist. She probably knew starched shirt.

Rachel ran in full of apologies, but Tessa waved her off. "I can't get to school on time."

Rachel laughed. "We just get to the bus stop."

Tessa bit her tongue, but she couldn't understand why anyone who didn't have to would put their kids on the bus. It was her job as their only parent to do anything possible for them, including driving them to and from school.

Both women were active in the PTA and were co-chairs for the annual book fair. Once Rachel had her coffee, they went straight to business. Their meeting ended with a to-do list for each of them. Tessa's was to set up the volunteer sign up and talk to Lisa about putting out a call for volunteers.

"Korra's turning forty and I'm having a bash for her. I'll be sending you an invitation." Rachel put her hand over her heart. "I know you don't use babysitters, but we'd love for you to come."

Tessa smiled and hoped her parents would be back from Florida, but doubted it. When was the last time that she went to a party with friends without kids? Sweep. Christmas Eve in Westchester didn't count because none of the guests were her friends.

In no time, Rachel was ready to run out the door as fast as she came in. "I have to get to work."

Tessa watched as she stopped and hugged someone on the other side of the door. She didn't mean to stare, but starched shirt walked in. Korra knew him. The first thing Tessa noticed was he wasn't wearing a dress shirt but was dressed casually.

"Hey Patrick!" The man who owned The Landing called out. "Did you go out today?"

He smiled, and Tessa couldn't look away. It brightened up his face. "Yeah, but it's still too cold to stay out long."

"If you ask me, it'll be too cold in August."

He laughed a rich laugh. Tessa should have left, but she couldn't get herself to move. He turned and nodded at her. Did he remember her? With his coffee in hand, he walked towards her but sat at the table next to her.

She stood and shrugged into her coat. Unexpectedly, she felt it lifted onto her shoulders. She turned, and he shrugged, not admitting he had helped her. It had been a long time since a gentleman had helped with her coat. Sweep.

"Thanks." She found her voice.

"I hope you didn't mind. I am from the opposing camp."

She couldn't tell if he was serious. Confused, she waved and bolted to the door, almost bumping into a woman who was all bundled up in a long down coat.

She climbed into her car to go back to the mainland. The Point was only connected to it by a causeway. She needed to get some housework done before it was time to pick up her girls.