Chapter 10: first day of school

Over the rest of the summer our families became really close. We spent so much time together we really had become just one big family. Mrs. Simons became my second mom and I could talk with her about all of the things I couldn't talk to my mom about. I told her about my dream to become a writer and she told me to follow my dream. I feel like she came in at the time I needed her most in life.

Not only did our families get Closer, but Tommy and I became really good friends. I would say he was one of my best friends. Near the beginning of our friendship, when we couldn't sleep, we would facetime and talk about the things that are on our mind, but eventually we put ladders outside our windows so when we needed to talk to the other, we could just climb out our window and into the others.

It Worked really well and at least three nights a week we would spend time talking together about our problems. Many times, we would fall asleep in each other's rooms because it helped to not be alone. Some nights, I would sit on his bed writing my book while he played video games, other times he would teach me how to play.

School was starting up again and I didn't feel ready to meet all of these knew people. I have always gone to the same school and known the same people, when I started my freshman year of high school, I didn't talk to anyone I didn't already know. So, the fact that I'm going to only know one other person in the entire school has me spooked. I've stayed up many nights thinking about this.

The day finally came. I had to go to school and try to make new friends. I picked out an outfit I thought would be a great first impression and show everyone my personality. I put on a cropped yellow sweater with a white button up shirt on under, dark high-rise jeans, and a pair of white air force ones. I put my hair in a low messy bun and put on only a little bit of makeup (Just concealer, mascara, and Chapstick). I felt kind of lucky that the school I was registered for didn't make you wear school uniforms. Clothing is one of the ways that I expressed myself and I don't know what I would do if I couldn't wear my own clothes.

I headed downstairs to the kitchen where my mom and my dad were sitting at the little kitchen table. I grabbed a banana and sat down to talk to them before I had to catch the bus. "Y/N, I made you French toast." My mom says as I peal my banana. "I don't have time to eat real breakfast right now." I tell my mother as I take a bite of my banana, "The bus is gunna be here in a few minutes."

I continue to eat my banana as I stand up from the table and grab my back pack. "I'll tell you guys everything when I get home." I tell my parents as I put my banana peel in the trash can and run out the door to go meet Tommy.

"Hey there shorty you're looking fancy today." He tells me as I walk up to him standing at the curb. We had gotten a lot more comfortable with each other to be able to make fun of each other and call each other names. "Yes, I do Bitch boy" I say as I spin around in a circle so that he can see my whole outfit. "You look, comfortable." I tell him as I look him up and down. "What, I didn't feel like dressing up today."

Just as he finishes his sentence, the bus pulls around the corner and then in front of us. We get in and sit by each other. "So, what is school like in England." I ask tommy. "Well from what I know, its very much like in the US but a lot better." He says as he pulls out the school's schedule. "It looks like we get a fifteen-minute break after second period, and we get an hour-long lunch period."

"Wow, that's actually really great." I reply "US public schools are complete shit. You have five minutes to get from one class to the next, which was really hard at my last school because it was literally the size of an airport, and you have only thirty minutes for lunch."

The bus finally stopped at the school and everyone who was aboard got off. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest so heard. "Compared to my last school, this place is tiny." I say as I lean over and whisper to tommy. He just laughs at me as we walk into the building. I felt like everyone was looking at me. I knew that it was just my anxiety kicking in but I was still scared.

"Don't be worried." Tommy says as he grabs my hand. "You're going to do great." I take a deep breath ad let go of tommy's hand. We walk towards our class and we walk in the door when in the doorway, the bell rings. "Class, sit down in the seat with your name on it. This will be your seat for the rest of the term."

I find the seat with my name on it and sit down. My seat was sat in the second back row all the way on the right side of the classroom. I looked around the room to find tommy and he was seated on the opposite side of the classroom. There goes the only other person I know in this entire country. Now I have to try to make real friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word count-985