8. The Drama

Beginne am Anfang

"Kina. I didn't want to talk about this in front of Erika because you know Aspen is her best friend and everything" Aubree started. The events of the after party flashed through my mind at lightning speed as I awaited her next words.

"What did happen at the party that caused things to escalate to that level?" Aubree finally asked. The fight played itself out in my mind in excruciating detail causing anger to pump through my veins. 

"Well Aspen got completely wasted and blamed everyone else for his near loss at the competition. Then things escalated to the fight because he said some things about me" I explained as calmly as I was able to.

"Alright well I just wanted to hear exactly what happened so that I could have a word with Aspen because he is still part of your team" Aubree sighed and ran a hand through her hair. Truth be told I was hoping she was going to kick him off the team. I never wanted to see him again but I don't make the rules.

Yet.

"I'm fine with that" I lied. A message from my mom flashed across the screen of my phone, bringing me back to reality. I said my goodbyes to Aubree and left the studio without another word about Aspen. 

"So what happened?" My mom asked as soon as I got into the car. I handed her the binder from Aubree in reply. 

"Wait this says choreographer. Did Aubree make you a choreographer?" She asked excitedly. I nodded and she squealed excitedly. She spent the whole drive home going on and on about how I needed new outfits for practices and competitions until we reached the house. 

"Isn't seven dances a lot to choreograph on your own?" She asked as we walked into the house.

"It is but I'm not doing it alone. I'm doing it with Erika" I explained. My mom raised an eyebrow at me and smiled.

"What?" I asked. She didn't say anything she just turned to the fridge and started taking things out to make dinner.

"We're just friends if that's what you're implying" I shut her down before she could even start. My mom closed the fridge and looked at me again.

"You know I used to tell my mother the same thing when I was your age" she looked at me with a smile on her face. I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

"No mom. I'm being serious. I have Amelia" I suddenly got defensive. My mom put her arms up in surrender and returned to her dinner preparation. 

"I'm just saying you two would look awfully cute together" she shrugged. I groaned and stormed upstairs to my bedroom, closing the door behind me. I collapsed onto my bed with a sigh. I instinctively took out my phone to check the notifications.

1 new follower: Miss_Park_Cherry

My heart skipped a beat. 

Get it together Kina.

I rushed to Instagram, eager to get a glimpse into Erika's private life. Unfortunately her account was just as private as her personal life seemed to be. I left her a follow request before returning to my explore page. 

Amelia's most recent post caught my attention and I found myself staring at the person who was supposed to be my girlfriend, with everyone other than me all over her. I threw my phone on the bed next to me and ran a hand through my hair. 

"Kina" I heard Zara softly knock on my door before she entered without an invitation. 

"Did you see the posts?" She cut straight to the chase. I nodded slowly as another sigh escaped my throat.

"Listen to me Kina. I know I keep telling you this and you never listen but you need to break up with Amelia. I don't think she really cares about you" Zara pleaded. 

"I know you don't like her Zara but she is my girlfriend. I love her"

"Kina she does this to you every fucking time and you forgive her every fucking time. Open your eyes! She's taking advantage of you!" 

"I'm the one dating Amelia not you! Besides it's probably not what it looks like" my voice trailed off at the end. Zara groaned and ran a hand through her hair.

"You clearly didn't scroll through the whole post" Zara huffed. She pulled Amelia's account up on her phone and showed me the video I didn't bother watching. There it was. Amelia making out with the guy she told me not to worry about.  My blood boiled and I saw red.

"Again!? She fucking did it again!?" I sat up in frustration, white heat flooding my veins. 

"I told you. I told you she was playing you" Zara looked ready to fight. She looked like she was just waiting for me to get up. She was ready to beat someone up. I went silent for some time as the new found information settled in my head. My phone started ringing from my bed. Zara picked it up.

"Oh speak of the devil" she scoffed. Zara answered the call before I could protest. 

"This is Kina's sister how can I help you?" Zara's voice came out in a calm tone, no ounce of the anger she had previously possessed. She put the phone on speaker and I motioned for her to continue the conversation as if I wasn't there.

"Oh Zara hey why are you answering Kina's phone?" Amelia asked obliviously. I bit back everything I wanted to say.

"Kina went down to the studio and she left her phone with me at home" Zara lied. I gave her a thumbs up.

"Anyways speaking of Kina, does she know you've been cheating on her again? I mean it's almost like you want her to find out after that photo dump you just posted" Zara chuckled dryly, the malice in her voice was sharp enough to stab someone.

"Cheating? I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about"

"Cut the bullshit Amelia. You and I both know you've been cheating on my sister and she's going to find out" 

"Well if I delete the photos she'll never know" Amelia's bitchy side began to shine through. I rolled my eyes and bit down on my tongue to stop the words from slipping from my lips.

"I took screenshots and screen-recordings. Give it up Amelia you can't hide it anymore. I'm definitely telling Kina as soon as she gets home" Zara said sharply. Amelia laughed maliciously. 

"Is that a threat sweetie?" Amelia retorted. My mother walked into the room and we both motioned for her to keep quiet. She sat down next to me on the bed and put her arm around me. 

"Don't give me that 'sweetie' bullshit. It might work on your little friends but not on me" Zara lost her patience. Amelia scoffed. 

"If you show Kina those photos. I will make you regret ever threatening me" Amelia said. With that she hung up. Zara sighed and handed my phone back to me. The room was silent and nobody dared to say a word.

"Somebody tell me what the hell happened here" my mom's voice sliced through the tension. Zara explained the whole situation to her. I felt white heat run through my veins as my sister recounted the details of my supposed girlfriend's affair. 

"Kina" Zara started. I cut her off.

"Just. Don't. I get it. You warned me. Now can I be alone" I said softly, trying not to lash out at her. Zara and my mother silently got off my bed and left me alone in my room, shutting the door behind them. 

"Fuck" I muttered, allowing myself to sink onto my bedroom floor. I regarded my appearance in the mirror for some time, letting the emotions run through me like a river. I didn't move from the floor. Instead I just stared at myself until the feeling of numbness take over me. When it began to get dark there was a soft knock on the door.

"Kina" my mother spoke against the door. I stayed silent and just stared at the door.

"Kina. I know you want to be alone right now but dinner is ready" she tried again.

Still I was silent.

A part of me was hoping that she would force her way into my room and hold me close to her and tell me everything was going to be okay but she didn't.

She just left me to sit on the floor and stare numbly at the door.