We've finally made it to Ba Sing Se, and I am so relieved! Not just because I've been stuck on an airship for the past week and in desperate need of new companionship, but also because of the mystery and history of Ba Sing Se. Um, does no one remember Long Fang? He managed to run Ba Sing Se without actually running Ba Sing Se, and then a 14 year old managed to invade the 'impenetrable' city. This city's government has many secrets, and there's always been some funny business going on here.

"Hey!" Bolin greats me happily as he joins me at the railing, looking over Be Sing Se. "Why so quiet? We're in Ba Sing Se, this is where my family is! I can't wait for you to meet them!"

"I'm really happy for you Bolin, truly. I can't wait to meet them," I tell him genuinely.

I've been a bad friend. Bolin and Mako's family are out there, and Bolin has been so excited about it. I've been so focused on this airbending thing that I haven't been paying any attention to my best friend.

"Are you sure you're ok? I don't want to upset you, but I've noticed that ever since we came back from the south, you've been different. You've been distant, and you seem distracted."

Make something up.

"You're right. It's just really weird that.. That my uncle was destroyed.. And my connection with the spirits has been really overwhelming. But who cares about that now," I try to perk up. "Come on, we're in Ba Sing Se! Your family is down there, that's so exciting!"

I grab his hand and drag him towards the others. I need to put this pity party on hold! My best friends family are here! That's huge! I mean, I know my life isn't perfect, but I couldn't imagine where I'd be with out my family. Mako and Bolin are both so strong.

I look down at Ba Sing Se from our airship, and it's definitely... there.

"Uhh, the Lower Ring looks terrible," Korra says.

"You read my mind," I mumble.

"Yeah," Bolin agrees. "I can smell it from here. No wonder dad left."

Moments later as the airship continues to fly over the ring, we make it over the inner wall of the Middle Ring. I can tell you now, it smells a lot better. As we move along, the smell is completely gone, and the ground becomes more lavish.

"Wow. Now this is more like it," Kai says.

This place is beautiful, but obviously their tax money is going into the palace rather than helping the citizens.

...

Finally, we're off the airship! I've missed being on the ground, and look! There are other people here! Glorious!

"Avatar Korra, Master Tenzin, it is a pleasure to welcome you and your party to the Upper Ring of Ba Sing Se," a well dressed palace man says politely as he approaches us. "I'm Grand Secretariat Gun."

"Thank you," we reply and bow in return.

"Aah, it's got that Upper Ring smell," Bolin says as he walks up with Naga and Pabu who is perched on his shoulder.

"Oh no, the queen hates animals. You'll have to get them out of sight."

She hates animals? How can anyone hate such amazing creatures? Especially Naga and Pabu! And there's no way anyone could ever hate Bud!

"Well, I can just stash Pabu in my shirt, these two are going to be a little difficult," Bolin gestures toward Naga.

"Come with me. Hurry, I'll take you to your quarters."

We walk across the property following Gun, and I admit, this place is really nice. I've never seen anything like it. It's different from the south, even the air temples. I just don't see how the queen can live this lavishly while her people are suffering. I'd feel so guilty.