7. A Mother's Love

Start from the beginning

"It's not like we ever venture past the stream. It must have wandered over this side." Iseka reasoned.

Nora reluctantly nodded her head. She turned to the silent child.

"I warned you to never go past the stream and what did you do?fil"

"Go past the stream..." The child replied weakly.

"Why did you not listen to me? You can't go around wandering on your own! I told you this place is dangerous. Do you how much I was worried?" Nora said sternly, fixing a scary glare on the poor child.

"I'm sorry." The child lowered her head in guilt.

The sight of the child bowing her head in guilt softened her heart.

Nora sighed. "Alright. I'll forgive you this time. But I don't want a repeat of today. This will be your last warning. Do it again and you'll get punished."

The child lifted her head with a bright smile. "Okay. I won't do it again. I promise!"

Iseka frowned. She looked like she wanted to interject but taking a look at Nora she swallowed her words.

The suffocating feelings of dread and fear finally faded away and Nora calmed down.

She felt a little embarrassed about her breakdown.

Nora picked up the child. "Let's go. You must be hungry. I brought you chocolate cookies." 

But everything was alright.

"Cookies?! Yay! I love you, Mom!" The child beamed, sparkles glowing around her as her expression changed from guilt to glee quickly.

Before the child looked at the cat and then at her with a pleading look.

It was obvious what the child wanted.

Nora let out a defeated sigh.

"Yes, you can keep him, only if you promise you'll take full responsibility for him," Nora said, a finger pulled up to emphasize her point.

"Yes, yes! I promise I will take care of Ether! Thank you!"

Nora blinked. "That's his name? Did you name him? Cute!"

Iseka turned around muttering to herself, "Damn, these kids are going to give me a heart attack someday."

Nora looked at the distancing Iseka with a heavy heart. She remembered her hurtful words.

"Are you going to say sorry for the mean things you said to Nana, Mom?"

Nora looked at the child with wide eyes.

"You were mean to Nana. And Nana cried after you were gone. You made her cry! You're going to say sorry, right?"

Nora had a sudden mysterious feeling. It was a strange thought but the look in her child's eyes looked for more mature than it should be.

"Of course. I was wrong to say hurtful things to her and I'll apologize for it. But in the end, it's up to her to forgive me..."

"But no matter what you have to say sorry to Nana!"

Nora smiled. "Yes, you're right. My child is so mature! I'm so proud of you!"

"Heh."

Nora followed Iseka with the child in her arms playing with the cat.

Nora ignored the dread pooling in her heart and stepped into her home along with her child.

She lowered the child and looked at Iseka who was in the kitchen fixing a meal.