5. A Curious Calling

Start from the beginning

Happiness of those moments blurred into the joyful time spent with Nora and Iseka.

Your throat tightened.

Every breath was like sandpaper scratching down your throat.

The more you tried to shrug off the bittersweet memories, the more you were bombarded with them.

You were spiralling in the memories of the past as the silence of the cabin dragged on.

Suddenly, you had an epiphany.

It was first time you were left alone after opening your eyes in this world.

Usually Nora or Iseka wouldn't let you out of their sight.

You looked around at the small cabin, feeling small and alone.

You did not like solitude, you realized.

The feeling of the walls of the small cabin closing in on you left you breathless. It was suffocating.

"Ugh!" You abruptly stood up in frustration. "I'm so sick of it!"

You were done staying inside and having your mind torture.

You strode toward the door with purpose but hesitated to cross the threshold. Iseka did say she will return shortly. But hours passed by and she was nowhere in sight.

Surely, going out for a little bit wouldn't be a problem. You needed a fresh breath of air.

"The stream...right, I should go to the stream. It's nearby, only a few minutes away from the cabin. Iseka can easily spot me from the window. I won't get scolded." You mumbled and made up your mind.

You took it upon yourself to write a short, brief message to Iseka. It was messy enough to be the handwriting of a kid with the drawing of a stream but coherent enough to understand.

'Heh, I got some hidden talent.'

You proudly admired your work before pinning it on the chair Iseka sat before.

You rushed out the door,  feeling the cool breeze soothe on your skin. Immediately your troubled mind eased a little as the sweet chirping of birds and nature filled the previous silence.

You took a deep breath, feeling your tensed muscles relax.

With small steps, you made your way to the stream. Pausing a few times to admire the beautiful flowers on the way.

It was a great idea to take a stroll. It cleared your mind of unwanted thoughts.

You idly walked until you reached the stream. The clear crystal water flowed in a zigzag pattern. Water so clear that you could see the pebbles gleam when the sun rays touched the water surface.

You crouched and dipped your hand in the flowing water.

It was refreshingly cold and you shivered with a eager smile.

Taking a seat near the stream, you relaxed and admired the lush green field.

It was a beautiful place; that kind of beauty which would inspire countless fairytales.

Vivid flowers were scattered across the green field and beyond the stream. Ranging from bright red to soft hues of purple. It had every possible shade.

Everything looks so breathtaking, especially the glittering butterfly.....

....Wait, what?

You blinked when you saw a glowing indigo butterfly flutter into your field of vision and exit with a glittering trail the hue of its delicate wings. There was a tiny protrude on its head.