4. Old Wounds And Paranoid Heart

Start from the beginning

You grumpily laid your head on your folded hands on the table, eyes fixed on Nora.

Today, she had to leave for the capital and sell the products she had been experimenting with for the past few weeks.

It was a successful product. Nora was so happy, that she almost set the kitchen on fire when she hugged Iseka in excitement while Iseka was cooking.

Nora heaved a relieved sigh and looked at her handy work. She was ready to go. Her eyes softened when she took in your dejected expression.

"Dear, if you behave and follow the rules, I'll bring you whatever you want. Just say it," Nora sweetly offered.

You perked up at this. You thought for a moment. The budget was tight so you didn't want anything extravagant.

Maybe some candies? You had been craving for something sweet for the past week.

You hesitated. She's already straining herself to make money for expenses, you didn't want to add up the burden.

"I'll be happy with whatever Ma brings for me,"

Nora was taken aback. "You don't have to hold back, dear. I know you've been wanting something sweet. I'll bring some for you."

"There's no need. You've been working so hard for us, Ma. So anything is fine."

She hugged you one bone-crushing hug while patting your hair.

"My sweet child. I'm blessed to have you."

You gagged on the strands of her long hair and pulled your head back as far as possible.

"I'm blessed too! My Ma's the best."

You let out a giggle that sounded distorted and strangled.

Iseka rolled her eyes, "Release her, Nora. You suffocating the child."

'Thank you, scary lady!'

Nora released you and you took a deep breath.

"I'm not!" Nora pouted at her. "Is it wrong for a mother to show affection towards her only adorable child?"

Iseka just deadpanned, "Yes, if the affection is borderline torture. Then definitely yes."

Nora deflated before she let out a hearty chuckle, "You're so harsh, Iseka."

You discreetly patted your chest as air filled your lungs. The sweet exchange between them was a little too much sometimes.

"So want me to bring something for you?" Nora looked at Iseka expectantly. "You know something you want. You've helped me a lot. So I want to show my gratitude."

Iseka looked at her before going back to her knitting. "My yarn is finished. If you'd be so kind as to bring me another ball of it."

Nora tilted her head, confused. "But that's for the sweater you're making for (Y/N). Tell me something you want!"

"I want a roll of yarn," she flatly replied.

"But--"

"No buts. Just bring me a red ball of yarn."

Though the fat lady was as pleasant as a rotten egg, she was a still good person.

Nora shook her head in disbelief. "You've always been so kind."

Iseka flashed an irritated look as if she was offended by the compliment.

Nora looked at you. Your paled face finally had gained some color. You reminded yourself to never underestimate her strength.