4. Old Wounds And Paranoid Heart

Start from the beginning

The gap between the poor and rich was astounding, especially for such a supposedly prosperous Empire. People living at the bottom couldn't bridge the gap no matter how long they worked and suffered and their children were doomed to live a similar suffering.

Your eyes glazed over in thought.

Why did that name make you feel...restless?

You never visited the capital since you lived on the border of the Empire. But you wanted to.

"Ma, can't I come with you too? I promise I'll behave and won't cause trouble," You pleaded.

Nora paused. She shot you a warm smile.

"No, dear. It's a long journey ahead from here to the Capital. You'll get bored and exhausted. Besides you're too young to travel."

"I will not get bored, I promise! I don't want to be alone when you're gone." You tried again, giving her the best puppy eyes.

She tensed before giving her billion-shooting star smile instead. "You won't be alone since Iseka is here. She'll play with you and read you your favorite tales."

It would be tempting for a child. But you were hardly a child.

You shot a look at Iseka aka your Nana who had made herself comfortable on the chair beside the door, a yarn in her hand as she knitted a sweater for you for the upcoming winter.

She had taken a small break from constant knitting but it seemed she was too restless to take actual rest.

'Uh-huh, no thanks. She's crazy scary when upset. And upset she is all the time.'

Iseka let out a very unladylike grunt, not commenting on Nora's claims.

Your shoulder slumped in defeat. You wanted to explore the world around you more.

So far you have discovered that this world was different from Earth. Magic was a phenomenon that existed in this world.

From magical creatures to Magic-welding human beings roamed this world.

But not everyone had magic from what you heard. Only the Royal bloodline and some noble families were gifted with magic alone. These people were known as Mages and Sorcerers who strictly worked under the Royal family.

It was a rare occurrence for a commoner with no known magical bloodline to have magic.

Since you lived on the edge. Most of the information came in the form of rumors from the noisy trader who traveled in and out of the village.

And from what you have heard the Obelia Empire was a powerful and prospering Empire.

But from the rumors it seems there were internal conflicts between the Royals and the Noble faction. As usual, the common people were the ones suffering as a result of their clashing conflict.

Well, you weren't interested in politics and what happened behind among the nobles and the common people.

You were more interested in the strange phenomena of magic.

It was a bit upsetting that you couldn't use magic. At least you think you don't have any magical abilities.

You glanced at the summer sky and felt a little bitter.

The birds flapping their wings in the cloudless sky looked so happy.

You wanted to be like a bird, free and unrestricted to travel anywhere.

It was a bit suffocating to stay inside the small cabin all the time.

Nora never let you out of sight. You barely get to cross the threshold.