Live Aid: Rock the World

Please note that some of the historical events in this chapter have been fabricated for narrative purposes as this is fan-fiction, but I have tried to incorporate reality where possible and necessary-slightly.mad

Garden Lodge, 13th July 1985, around 3:30pm

"There you are...Now go downstairs and show granny and granda and Phoebe how pretty you look" 

Monica was finished brushing and plaiting her daughter Roshni's hair into a half up-done braid in front of her parent's mahogany vanity.

"I don't look pretty, mummy" Roshni sullenly stared back at he reflection as she sat on her mother's lap. 

"Of course you do, my love," Monica kissed the side of her daughter's head, "You look like Snow White with your rosy cheeks and your black curls"

She looked at her daughter's lost face in the mirror. She had very few moments where she got to see her daughter's face side by side to her own, and the resemblance in their blue eyes and the way that their hair fell. Freddie's dark features dominated Roshni's raven black hair and her milky olive complexion.

The girl shook her head and uttered, "Snow White is a princess" 

Monica didn't understand why she didn't feel good about herself. Today was Live Aid, and Roshni and her twin brother Johnny were allowed to wear their favourite clothes. She chose her summer mint green playsuit worn over her white blouse with a blue ribbon tying her plait to match, and her twin brother was wearing his oversized Mickey Mouse t-shirt and blue shorts with his denim baseball cap because he wanted to look 'cool'. 

"Well, you look like a princess to me," She told Roshni, lifting her off of her lap, "Now off you go"

Her daughter obediently ran out of the room. Now that she was rid of her for for at least a few moments Monica turned to her son who was using his parent's large unmade bed as a trampoline. 

"Johnny!" she scolded him, "Stop bouncing on mummy and daddy's bed!"

Her son stuck out his bottom lip as he stepped off, "You let me wear what I wanted today, so why can't I do what I want?"

"You still have to be on your best behaviour, sweetheart," Monica signalled him off, "Daddy is under a lot of pressure today, we've been through this!"

He allowed is mother to fix his hair yet again as he retorted, "It's always about dad"

Monica couldn't agree more, but kept her mouth zipped. The man himself, Mr Mercury, was showering in the bathroom, preparing for a moment in history that could either rejuvenate his career or in the worst outcome could not make much difference, whilst Phoebe dealt with the numerous phone calls and management and Live Aid organisers dropping in and out of Garden Lodge.

Time was passing quickly and there was no room for dilly-dallying. She instructed him, "Go and get your Africa Fund from the kitchen"

Johnny looked at her peculiarly, "Why?"

She, along with Freddie, was determined to keep Live Aid a surprise until they arrived at Wembley. 

So without giving too much away Monica half-lied, "We are taking you both somewhere where maybe more people might want to put money into your jar"

"For the Ethi-the Ethiopians?" He stumbled upon his words.

She smiled and nodded, "Remember the man that wanted daddy to do that concert? Well, we're going to meet him today as well, so you can give him the jar"