A real good time

As Monica sat there at the dark club bar she felt dread wash over her. 

"It can't be her... no, not the girl in Biba yesterday," she panicked in her head, planning an escape route. "This is a nightmare after all..."

"Ahh... Mary." The smile disappeared a little on Freddie's face as he looked up, pulling his hands back towards himself.

All Monica could do at that moment was sit there awkwardly and quietly. She didn't want to speak to or make eye contact with the woman who offended her only the day before. And to think that woman was the ex of a man she was ever so quickly growing attracted to.

But here Monica was, in an outfit that made her feel more confident and beautiful than ever before, in the company of a prestigious rockstar. So she took a deep breath and tried to appear confident, and forced a fake beam that she'd use on rude customers in the cafe that she used to work at back home.

"Well, I'm leaving now." Mary started putting a fur coat on. "May I ask who this is before we go?"

"Uh, this is Monica. She's come here from Ireland, for a break with her best friend," Freddie introduced her awkwardly. "From Belfast, can you believe that?"

"From Belfast," She cut in quickly and repeated after him, and this time she thought of adding in a little dig of her own. "If you're wondering about my accent and why it's 'too distracting', just in case."

"Your accent? Distracting? I can understand what you say perfectly well, my dear, even if it is too loud in here" Freddie smiled at the girl as Mary just stood there, flinching as her upper lip stiffened.

"Well," Monica looked at Mary, then back to him. "I've met some people who seem to not even bother trying to understand me when I talk."

"I see..." Freddie nodded and looked back up at Mary. "You're leaving already?"

"I don't believe we've had the pleasure," Mary glared at Monica a little as she grabbed her hand forcefully and shook it. "Mary. Mary Austin."

"Lovely to meet you, Mary." Monica muttered, feeling utterly disappointed that Freddie had to leave with her, out of all people.

"You coming then?" Mary looked at him expectantly before turning around for the exit.

"Well, that's my night ruined" Monica thought, and she sat up to leave them both-

"No. Monica, don't leave" Freddie answered flatly as he stayed sitting, looking down at his lap uneasily, much to Monica's surprise.

"But how are you-" Mary started.

"Here's some money for a taxi, Mary." He placed some cash in her hand, and Monica settled back onto her stool. "I'm going to stay and have fun with-with Monica here."

"But-" the woman tried to protest, slightly agitated.

"See you soon, Mary. Toodle pip."

At this point Monica was blushing, and Mary quickly spun around and marched off in into the night in embarrassment and irritation. Freddie sighed and sipped.

"Sorry about that," he said, turning back to Monica. "She's the friend I mentioned. Well, she was my girlfriend and one point but we broke up a year ago because I... I wasn't faithful in the end. A fault on my part. She isn't normally this stubborn at all I'm afraid."

"I knew it... I should've known by the way she was looking at me as if I was an insect" All Monica could do was nod. 

She still felt ashamed and embarrassed about what happened in Biba the day before. And knowing Mary had a connection to this man, a strong, sexual one at some point too, made her even more embarrassed and feel out of Freddie's league.