Future Filler: Smells Like Teen Spirit Pt.4

The Millennium Gloucestershire Hotel Lobby

"You look beautiful, Roshni," the head girl of Latymer told her passed by the black leather settee where her she, "I'm so glad you could come tonight."

Roshni blushed and glanced down at her black velvet outfit, but gave her a shy smile in return, "Thanks"

The head girl briefly smiled once more before she wafted back into the chattering mass of suited and dressed up school students. 

Everyone was standing in the swanky lobby, and while some Latymers were buying alcohol with their fake IDs at the bar most of the student body were waiting by the big doors into the large hall to be let in. She thought it was amazing how different everybody looked when they cleaned up for prom. . Meanwhile Johnny had gone in search of the prom committee to see if he could change the seating arrangements and sit with another group, for he didn't want to sit through a three course meal with his old friends anymore as had originally been planned.

Whenever she could sense eyes on her from classmates and some teachers who walked past it made her feel exposed. She couldn't tell whether or not it was because she was the only girl in the room wearing trousers, or because of what had happened in the drama suite with Mrs Jacobson earlier that day; news travelled fast after all.

"I wonder where Adam and Brandon are?" She thought yet again, also looking out for them anxiously , "They probably think I'm an idiot anyway... but I bet Brandon looks handsome in a suit and tie-"

"Sorted!" Johnny reappeared, flopping himself down beside her, "Our table is number eight now"

Roshni snapped out of her daydream, "Really? Good! Anyone we know?"

"Well, they placed us with some other people who didn't have anyone else to sit with. I hope you don't mind"

"Oh, that'll do I guess," she adjusted the wire of her mother's velvet embellished bustier that was rubbing into the skin near her underarms, "I think this is too small for me, I wish I brought plasters"

"Nah, your boobs are just too big for it," Johnny smirked, "After all, dad always says that you inherited the Bulsara Bust

"No need to remind me" she shuddered.

"Take it as a compliment" he teased.

Roshni didn't respond to him, for she swore that she saw Mrs Jacobson's prune-like face bobbing amongst the heads of students, almost like a hawk on the lookout for prey.

"You okay sis?" Johnny asked.

Mrs Jacobson disappeared out of sight, and Roshni nodded wrapped her embellished lilac saree that she was using in place of a shawl around her bare arms and shoulders to block out the chilly draught. 

She liked her mother's initial suggestion of an Indian dress, and decided to use incorporate part of her heritage into her outfit. She even wore a bindi on her understated made-up face with only false eyelashes, some pink blusher on the apples of her cheeks and a slick of nude lip gloss. As for Johnny he didn't bother ironing his black suit and tie or polishing his smart leather shoes, but the unkempt look suited him in his own way, much to Freddie and Monica's dissatisfaction.

Moments later the wide doors into the grand hall swung up, and the hotel staff held them open. Johnny and Roshni instinctively stood up, and followed their school mates spilling into it one by one.

Roshni's expectations were completely changed, and it was so much a "moron convention" as she initially thought it would be. 

The large hall was breathtaking, with windows for the walls and sloping roof, ceiling lamps tied to the beams that gave the room and white satin tied to the dining chairs and tables a magenta hue, and palm trees decorated with strings of fairy lights. There was a small platform in the centre of the white marble floor with a grand piano and microphone that served as the stage for the venue and speeches.