1985 pt 1

Hotel De Ipanema, Rio De Janerio, Brazil, January 10th 1985

The year was new, but once the christmas holidays were over, the four members of Queen had been whisked back into what was the normal, hectic way of life for one of the world's greatest rockbands of the time. The continuation of The Works tour was taking place halfway across the world in South America, the newly established Cidade do Rio being their first stop in 1985.

The first thing that Freddie Mercury saw when he woke up and lifted his head from the pillow was the rising sun hanging low above the South Atlantic to the east of the morning sky, its light spilling on his wife-to-be Monica sleeping across from him.

Gently, he slipped his arms around her limp body, cradling her head against his bare chest as she started to stir.

"Mmphhh, too bright!" she grunted, rubbing her eyes with the ball of her hand.

"Welcome to the tropics," he giggled into the top of her head and whispered, "How was your sleep?"

She slung her arm across his chest and around his shoulder, "Good, but that machine is far too noisy"

"Indeed," He looked at the AC on the wall, then grabbed the bottom of her cotton pyjama shirt, "We could turn it off then it'll be like an inferno in here and we would have to sleep au naturel-"

"Nice try Freddie, but we stopped being a childless couple about six years ago" she pushed his hands off as she sat up and reached over to her bedside.

"What are you doing?" he croaked, turning his head to watch her.

"Putting in my contacts" she answered as she fumbled about with her back to him.

"Why? Because you better not be leaving this bed or else I'll be cold" he stretched his arm across and put his hand on her upper back.

She slowly put the next lens on her eyeball, and blinked a few times into it settled over her pupil, "How am I suppose to look at your beautiful face if I can't even see it?"

He felt his heart flutter, "God, I love you so fucking much"

She shivered at the way he said that, rolling back into his arms, "I love you too"

He pulled the duvet back over her as she got comfortable again, resting back against  his chest as his heart beat in her ear.

"Freddie" she whispered his name, and she felt his thumb caress her cheek as she stared into space.

"Yes?" he whispered back, shuffling down a little lower and pressing his forehead against hers.

There was something she'd been longing to mention to him in the previous week or so, a topic that not only needed consideration and planning but also she knew that he was sensitive about. And it frustrated her that she found it harder and harder to take off her mind since the New Year had began, and she found out that Queen probably weren't going to be carrying on anymore after The Works tour ended.

"Maybe Deaky was right after all... maybe that's what I have been wanting" she frequently told herself day by day.

But she missed her opportunity to discuss it as she felt his lips softly against the tip of her nose and begging for a kiss.

So she oblidged, her eyes fluttering closed as she kissed him back, waiting for the next break of air.

He broke away as she started to giggle, "What is it?"

But even then, she whimped out of telling him what she wanted to for days as she traced a finger on his cubid's bow, "Your moustache needs a trim"

He growled, "It's not very easy being Freddie Mercury, you know"