1985 pt 2

Rooftop Bar, Copacabana, Rio De Janerio, January 10th 1985

"Should I write out a cheque or cash?" Mary Austin's voice was groggy.

"I don't care," Freddie muttered as he gripped the payphone reciever, "If I'm not there to sign it then cash would be best"

"Perhaps... but you could've just  answered my question" she answered, then paused.

"Is she on the blob, or what?!" he thought, looking behind him, past the people standing around with drinks in their hands and out the glass window.

Monica, with Johnny and Roshni on her lap, was sitting at the table on the limestone balcony under the outdoor lights with the rest of his crew and band mates.

"Somehow she can make that dreadful potato sack look good" he remarked the bright pastel fish print Lilly Pulitzer dress that she wore, a pop of sugar pink lipstick on her now sunkissed face and her shoulder-length hair dried into loose brown curls from the salty sea water from their visit to the beach earlier in the day. 

Thankfully, she looked far too distracted with the two to think about where he was, pen in hand as she appeared to be drawing or colouring something in with them. 

"Mary, are you still there?" he turned back to the payphone.

"Yes, Fred... now, you do know what you're doing?" she asked him firmly at what felt like the 15th time during the telephone call.

"Yes, yes! Just send the damn thing once my handwritten letter gets to you... and make sure it's first class!" he was getting insistent, anxious to get back to his family and have a pint or a cocktail.

"Alright! I have it noted.. I will visit the bank tomorrow. Is that everything?" 

"No thank you, darling. That's everything" He tapped his foot, growing impatient.

"...You know, the government over there may find this large sum of money very suspicious" she warned him again.

He sighed, awkwardly tucking his vest under the waist of his trousers, "Well, at least I tried to do something to help, Mary"

"As long as you're aware of the risks... I 'll talk to you tomorrow" she breathed on the other end.

"Alright, bye" He put the phone down without hesitation, and walked to Phoebe who was standing guard nearby, "I just don't see why that woman cannot bloody get a simple job done!"

He pointed out the window at Monica as they walked to the bar, "Because you're doing something nice for her"

Fortunately, Freddie saw the irony, "It's not even for her... what is she doing with them out there now anyway?"

"They're writing postcards to the grandparents, taking it in turns of course" Phoebe answered.

"Oh god, I better get out there before they draw or write something that they oughn't" he droned, quickly weaving his way through the bar.

"Oh, yee of little faith" his assistant quickly followed him out the door and into the open where it was much quieter.

The chatter amongst people was more hushed, and there was a small samba band on a small stage in the corner of the space, playing gentle Bossa Nova as the sun sunk behind the green caped hills in the west.

"Don't forget to sign your names so that granny and granddad know that they're from you" Monica instructed, and just then Freddie put his hand on her shoulder, leaning down to kiss her head as she smiled.