Doubt

*Freddie's flashback to the night he met Monica*

Amidst the thumping disco music and the almost blinding lights Freddie was making his way out of the toilet and weaving through the masses of jumping bodies in search for his friend Mary. He passed women in their glittery finery and men in their suave outfits until he spotted the blonde in her lurex minidress, standing still at the edge of the floor where she was before he left to relieve himself. She was not even moving gently to the groove and beat like everyone else in the room, her big blue eyes scanning her surroundings. He'd often go to the clubs with her when his friends couldn't, but tonight he had danced with her all night, and he wanted to have a bit of independence and fun on his own. The trip to the toilet gave him plenty of time to think about what to say to her; knowing Mary he had to be persuasive with her, as she was possessive and one to demand a good explanation.

"Mary! Mary there you are!" He shouted over the loud music as he rushed back over.

"You did what you needed to do?" She asked as she adjusted her bag strap.

"Yes and thanks for waiting on me dear, um listen-"

"What?" She cut across him, knowing he wanted something that was going to make her hang about and watch her ex dance with other men and women.

"I was thinking, maybe we could split up and I could hang around a little on my own for a while?"

Her upper lip stiffened as he looked at her hopefully.

"Why? I need to go home soon." She argued.

"I know, but I want to spend the remainder of my time alone before I leave." He explained calmly.

"Freddie look around... everyone is leaving now!" She exaggerated.

"You sure?" He looked around the club and the loft. And it was still busy as it was when they came in a few hours before.

"Of course I am sure..." Mary rambled on as Freddie looked around a bit more only for his eyes to be stopped by something he saw over her shoulder.

It was a girl. Not a man, but a young woman sitting across the room in one of the booths alone between two booths occupied with people engaged in conversations.

"Everyone is going to be getting high as a kite if we don't leave soon..." Mary continued, Freddie looking back and forth to make it appear that he was listening to her when his attention was now on this alone girl. If he kept his gaze on the girl for too long surely Mary would turn around to find out who had distracted him and try to take him away from her.

He watched her more as Mary pressed on, baffled as to why a boy hadn't sat down beside her with a drink. There she was sipping out of a glass, thick brown wavy hair that curtained her heart-shaped face with sparkling blue eyes that caught the beams of light being thrown across the dark room. Her outfit too was unlike any other girls' dress in the room. She was in fact one of the few women in the room wearing trousers the way she did. Black velvet with embellishment. Feminine yet dominant and eye catching, and most of all androgynous with glamour. He was on the lookout for men, his preference. But he could tell that this girl wasn't like anyone else in the room, and he wanted to know more. He wanted to have more.

"Do you understand what I'm trying to say?" She interrupted his thoughts as he noticed the girl look over in his direction, hoping he caught her attention.

"Uh huh" he replied, wondering why the mysterious brunette was looking so lost (little did he know she was shortsighted).

"Come on then Freddie, I have a night to get on with." Mary finished as he snapped back into reality.