Flashback filler-Leaving the roost

Ballysillan, Belfast, Northern Ireland, September 1976

"Shoo, Missy!" Monica waved the cat off.

The nosey tabby turned away and headed back out to the grass.

"I'm going to try save up for better quality ones." Paula dug a Bic lighter out from her blazer pocket, and then a box of cigarettes.

"Why am I doing this?" Monica sighed as she handed her a light.

"Because it's a nice sensation."

"It isn't, it makes me cough!" She put it between her teeth.

"That's because you don't know how to inhale it right, little Mo!" Paula lit it for her.

"It stings," she coughed and spluttered slightly. "and I don't even want to imagine what goes in them."

"You can look at this, then. Bought it yesterday." Paula handed her the newest issue of Jackie magazine.

"Oh, any articles worth reading?" Monica opened to the first page.

"Don't know, haven't read it yet" Paula shrugged.

Monica flicked past the beauty pages, "A lot of girls these days have their hair short or textured... should I get it cut?"

"Nahhhh" Paula took a drag. "You suit having long hair... remember in fifth year when I got layers? It was a nightmare and then everyone else with dirty blonde hair copied me!"

"It suited you though... you did it before Farah Fawcett" Monica murmured.

"Too much time and preparation. You're better off keeping it long if you want time in the mornings."

"If you say so" Monica pulled her air back behind her ears, then turned the page.

"I would." Paula trailed off dreamily, pointing at Keith Partridge.

"Not that 'count how many people I would bang' game again!" Monica thought.

She was never one to be in the mood to talk about boys. It's not that she didn't like the idea of being in a relationship or love, she just felt that Paula had the wrong idea about sex; to her it was a social rite of passage .

"I don't think I would do him, he looks much too young." Monica puffed on her cigarette.

"David Cassidy? Get out! He's only 27!"

"Still, he has one of those 'kid faces'," Monica anxiously peeped through a gap in the bush as she inhaled, on the lookout. "He reminds me of Lenny, that's all."

"David's better looking than Lenny."

"Hey, that's my brother you're taking about!" Monica snapped. "He's nothing special but he's not as ugly as some of the boys in our school."

Paula rolled her eyes, "Well, who would you go for then?"

"I don't know, just not any of the boys in our school." She repeated. "And right now I'm on my period-"

"Pick someone from the magazine then." Paula ordered.

"I don't know, Paula! I'm not attracted to any of them. Can't we talk about something else?"

"Oh, go on! Fantasise a little!" Paula thrust the magazine. "The more you stare at them the more attractive they will be, I promise."

"How does that work?" She cocked a brow.

"Don't tell me you still have a crush on Cliff Richard."

"Catch yourself on! It's not like I have any urges thinking about him... I've liked him since I was six, he's not that sort of crush!" Monica sighed in defeat, and flicked through the gossip pages.