1983

Spring was now blossoming outside with the cherry tree on the lawn of Garden Lodge. A few passed on since the Lenny incident (the Garden Lodge household's new name for what happened on Monica's birthday) and everyone returned to their previous way of life. When they were able to attend school the twins were learning more and more each day, Monica was kept busy working on Theo's commissioned projects, and with a new year came new album concepts for Freddie and the boys to write. They agreed early on that even though pop was very much a part of Queen by now, they decided that after the poor reception for Hot Space it'd be best to return to their origins this time round as well.

Monica's injury from the morning after her birthday when she aggressively smashed a glass in her right hand had left its scar dashed across her palm, but as time went by it healed and became less problematic and noticable.

Today was mothering Sunday, Freddie was having his parents over to Garden Lodge for dinner to thank his mother Jer. Monica was in the kitchen that morning preparing a roast ham to be slow cooked by the time evening rolled around. Phoebe was given permission for a day off, for he was visiting his own mother.

"You two, stop it and go play! The kitchen is a dangerous place to be running!"  She pointed to the door as Johnny and Roshni ran around the island as she was manoeuvring equipment and ingredients back and forth.

They groaned and reluctantly marched out, looking for fun elsewhere, and Monica  went to the sink to wash the wooden spoon, muttering, "Some Mother's Day for me this is turning out to be"

They slipped past Freddie in the hallway as he headed for the kitchen, still in his bed robe, their small chatter as he passed them making his heart flutter.

What he didn't know is that they were plotting something.

He stopped at the kitchen doorway, watching Monica at the sink in front of the window with her back to him. The sunlight silhouetted her figure as she hummed to herself the very melancholy tune he'd been working on with Brian and playing on the piano in recent days. They hadn't thought of a title for it yet, nor the lyrics. All they knew is that it was going to be about the scary news reports of poverty Africa, where Freddie partially grew up, that were spilling in on television.

"My sweet girl" he went over and slipped his arms around her from behind, taking her by surprise.

"Oh! Hello, trouble." She smirked.

"What's new, pussycat?" He said, kissing the side of her face.

She giggled, placing the wooden spoon on the dryer, "Just preparing the dinner. What about yourself, Tom Jones?"

He giggled, "not much," then his tone turned suggestive, "I was about to have a shower."

She looked around. Phoebe wasn't here yet, and there was a lot of work to be done.

"Okay. I'll be here peeling the potatoes."

"Oh do please join me..." he pressed his lips on the back of her neck.

She felt a shiver run down her spine, but looked around the kitchen once more.

"No... no no no" she protested as she felt his kisses, prying his hands off of her. "Phoebe isn't here so someone needs to start getting the place ready."

"Mmm please?" he murmured, pouting and making his eyes pleading.

She laughed, hiding the fact that she found it rather sexy, "Stop it, you!"

He melodramatically sulked and crossed his arms.

"Up," she pointed towards the doorway. "Go have your shower."