4. Polar Opposite Christmas

Depuis le début

"Stop it" she whined. I chuckled and watched as her cheeks flushed. 

"You know what I'll talk to you later" Amelia gave up before ending the call. I stretched and made my way to the bathroom I shared with Zara. Unfortunately Zara had beat me to the shower yet again.

"Ugh Zara will you hurry up. You always take forever in there" I said against the bathroom door. I received no answer as always. I sighed and walked downstairs to the living room. My mom was sitting on the couch watching her daily dose of cheesy rom-coms on Netflix.

"Well good morning sunshine. Merry Christmas" my mom greeted cheerily, opening her arms for a hug. I crossed the living room into her open arms. She cuddled me close to her like she did when I was little.

"Merry Christmas Mom" I murmured. She placed a kiss on the top of my head and pointed to the Christmas tree.

"Look Santa came last night" she joked. I rolled my eyes at her childish joke. There was a ton of presents under the tree though I'm sure most of them belonged to Zara. I embraced my mother for a little while longer before getting up and making a beeline for the kitchen.

I poured myself a cup of coffee with a small amount of creamer and an even smaller amount of sugar. I drank my coffee in the kitchen while I scrolled through Instagram.

"Kina come open your gifts before I steal them" Zara yelled from the living room. She said the exact same thing every single year. When I was younger I would sprint to the living room in fear of my presents being stolen but now I knew better than to believe and empty threat.

I walked into the living room and sat down by the tree next to Zara. Zara wasted no time opening her gifts. I grabbed the closest gift with my name on it. My gifts were all wrapped in black wrapping paper.

"Do you still have some of this paper?" I asked my mom. She nodded.

"You can have the rest if you would like" she offered. I opened the present. It was a new set of paint brushes.

"How did you know?" I asked my mom jokingly. I looked at Zara, who was almost finished opening her presents. I grabbed the next set of presents.

The next one was a brand new set of paints. I read the label on the paints and I looked at my mom in shock.

"Mom these paints are only available overseas and they cost a fortune if they're not sold out. You shouldn't have" I gasped. My mother laughed. I put paint on my Christmas list but I didn't mean an expensive set. The paints were made from white sea shells and you could only get them in Thailand. That's what made them so expensive.

I hesitantly reached for the next gift. I felt guilty for allowing my mother to by such an expensive gift.

"Kina it's okay you deserve those paints. Now open the other gifts." My mother said cheerily.

I reached for the much bigger gift that had my name on it. I ripped off the wrapping paper to find 5 new canvases.

So far my mother had gotten me every gift on my list.

I grabbed the last smaller gift from under the tree. I ripped off the wrapping paper to find a small velvet box inside. I opened the box.

Inside there was a silver ring with my birthstone in it as well as something engraved on the inside.

Kina Song 16.03.03.

"Mom you shouldn't have. I was saving up for it" I said.

My mother only smiled and opened her arms up for a hug. I hugged her willingly and she again cuddled me close to her. I liked the bond I shared with my mom. She always told me how much I reminded her of herself at my age. My mom was one of the only people that truly accepted me.