UNEXPECTED ENCOUNTER

TEACHER
She opens a mind for knowing good and worst. Takes a hand to lead the best pathway. Touches the heart, to mold it better. She gave hope, love and taught many to believe in themselves.

                ************

Suddenly, all four of them heard a cold voice. “Who bought you an ice cream? Who permitted you to come here?”

 “Who bought you an ice cream? Who permitted you to come here?”

Derek was startled hearing the voice.  He stopped his hand with a spoonful of choco ice cream in the mid-air. He looked at the person who was standing behind Diya and Magadhi. He was terrified looking at him, who was standing with eyebrows pulled down together.

Derek pointed to Diya saying, “This sister, dad". Diya stared at Derek. Her eyes were wide open as saucers realizing that his father had come. She stood up from the chair and turned. She then, had a glimpse of a man standing in front of them. 

The outline of his face could be said to be perfect. He had the gorgeous face one could have. His skin was even better than women's. He was remarkably tall, dark-haired, and looked stern.

Derek walked to his dad and said, “Dad, don't get angry. I just had one ice cream”. 

Diya thought about Derek calling his dad a Monster. She bit her lips to control herself from laughing looking at his dad. She thought to herself, how could he call his dad, a monster. Maybe some problem with his eyesight, I guess.

Derek's dad looked straight at her eyes and told, “Miss, it is inappropriate to buy ice cream for any child you like. If you wish so, make sure they are with their parents. And there is no need for a stranger to buy ice cream for my son”.

Diya started to apologize. “Hmmmm... Sorr...”.

“You don’t have to apologize, Diya. If he is very keen about it, we buying ice cream for Derek. He should be careful in watching him. What's the purpose of employing those men, who can’t look after the kid? Maybe that was the reason for Derek calling him Mon... Okay, chuck it”, Magadhi snapped at him.  

Magadhi turned to Diya and saw her glaring at her. Diya huffed and turned to Derek’s dad. 

Diya smiled sheepishly and replied, “Sorry sir. She is my friend Magadhi and I'm Diya Ramachandran. Haan …. that …... about the ice cream.... he was so desperate in having the ice cream and I couldn’t ignore his bubbliness”, looking at the kid.

Derek's dad looked at them and found that they were startled except the girl who vented on him. So, he just nodded at them. But he wanted to lash out at his employees for being irresponsible.

Derek's dad was angry with himself for being careless. He knew she was right. He smiled thinking, maybe if she was here, she could think the same. His lips turned into a soft smile.

Derek looked from his dad to Diya. He accused, “You are the awful dad. Come on. Where did you lose your manners you taught me? She introduced herself. But you didn't”. His dad glared at him with the don’t-you-dare-to-open-your-mouth look.