1. A Call Back From Home

In the never-stopping, bustling city, having a peaceful time was hard. And harder it was to sleep in such noise.

Being a insomniac, sleep was especially hard for you. And the noise outside your window didn't help.

You hated any kind of disruption while you slept. And everyone in the family knew.

So when your body was violently shaken, you felt the urge to commit homicide.

"Stop playing dead! I know you're awake!"

You tried to muffle the annoying sound with the pillow.

"Wake up! Up!"

"Go away."

You groaned at the nagging voice and kicked your legs aimlessly hoping it would miraculously hit the target.

You pulled the covers over your head and kicked again at the end of the bed where your sister was latched on like a annoying roach.

It landed squarely across her jaw.

"Ow! That hurts!"

There was a brief sound of shuffling before you heard her voice near you and an ominous chuckle.

"You started it."

Abruptly you found yourself pushed out of your bed and thrown on the ground.

"..."

Breathing deeply, you pressed forehead against the floor and growled out.

"You're so dead."

You sprang up with a death glare.

"Happy Birthday, sis!"

Your body froze up in mid-attack. The pillow you snatched stilled lifelessly in your hand.

Oh.

Right.

It had slipped your mind that today was your birthday.

Not just any day. But the day you would lawfully become an adult.

Your little sister, Amber was grinned at you, her eyes shimmering sincerely.

Though you still felt like bashing her, you held yourself back. After all, its your birthday. The only day when your sweet yet scary Mom wouldn't tolerate violence.

"Thanks," you mumbled and then launched the pillow at her face.

"Ahhh! What's that for?!"

"For annoying me so early in the morning." You rolled your eyes. "And for waking me up."

Amber grumbled, "Hmph! Morning? It's past afternoon! And I'm just reminding you that you are one step close to getting old! You even grumble like a grandma!"

You scoffed, "Old? Better old than stupid. Now that you're done, get out."

"Oh, come on!" Amber whined as she watched you rub your eyes and stumble your way to the bathroom to freshen up.

"C'mon it's your birthday. Don't tell me you're gonna stay holed up in your room!?" She asked.

"I don't see anything wrong with it. It's my day, afterall. I can do whatever I want."

"No, no, no! Let's go out and celebrate your birthday! I already made plans for us."

"What plans?" You asked with a frown and then shook your head. "Forget it. I'm not going anywhere. It's hot outside."

"It's start of summer. And you're not ice. You won't melt."

"Whatever." You shut the door behind and cut her off to refresh.

When you return you were greeted with a dreadful sight.