Chapter 51🥀Coma

🎶Listen to Sober by Demi Lovato🎵

*CHICAGO'S POV*

"Richard can't find out I'm here." She murmurs sounding uncomfortable.

"Why not... Wes is also your son." I say and I feel her body go stiff beside mine.

She turns and I see her tear filled eyes. "When you become a mother... you'll understand why I left."

"I'll never leave my children with the thought of me being dead while I'm very alive."

She turns and looks me in horror. "Is that what Richard told them ? All these years ?"

I give her an uncomprehending look. "Yes..."

I wait for her to say something but instead she stares at my shivering body.

I scan myself and see that I'm in my hospital gown and barefoot.

She holds my shoulder and leads me back inside the building. We sit on one of the sofas in the lobby.

"Here"

I look up and she's handing me her fur coat. I take it with a smile and put it on.

She clears her throat then looks at me.

"How do you know my name ? How do you know am Dean and Jean's mother ? How did you know I donated blood for Dean ? How do you even know how I look like ? " She attacks me with questions and I smile.

"Wes is really going to be happy to see you..." I keep smiling at her and she continuously shakes her head side ways while staring at me.

"If you have nothing to say to me I'm going to leave Miss...?"

"Brooke"

She gets up to leave and I follow suit.

"Katherine... you can't leave..." I tell her.

She raises her eyebrows, "...and why not ?" She asks.

"Because... you have questions I have answers to, and I have questions you have the answers to. So why don't we help each here ?"

"Why would I trust you ?"

"Because... we both love Wes and want what's best for him. If that's not enough reason... I don't know."

I wait for her to protest but she doesn't, instead she sits back on the sofa. I let out a sigh of relief and sit next to her.

She then turns to face me. "I had a twin sister... Kira. She and Richard were lovers. Kira met Richard when she was eighteen and he was twenty two. Six months later they got married.

Richard was the heir to the Hughes power company and he too needed an heir. So he and Kira decided to have a child. They tried but always ended unsuccessful the reason being, Kira had cervical cancer.

I felt sorry for them, so when Kira asked me to be her surrogate... I accepted it.

That night, Richard and I got drunk and he took my innocence away. Two weeks later, I found out I was pregnant. I told Kira and she was both happy and sad.

Happy because Richard was going to have an heir and sad because he cheated on her with me.

When Richard found out I was pregnant... he made me sign a 'give away contract'.

Fast foward to nine months later. Kira dies a day before I go into labour. I give birth to two beautiful bundles of joy. Dean Weston Hughes and Jean Whitney Hughes.

Richard took them immediately after their birth and chased me away.

When they grew older, I started randomly appearing to Dean but when Richard found out he hurt him.

So I stopped.

When I heard Wes needed blood... I came here as fast as I could and that's how I ended up here today."

I look up and see that she's crying but still smiling. She's trying to be strong but we all have a breaking point. I stand up, walk to her, and fold her in a tight hug.

"I have to go." She says in my ear.

I break the hug and stare at her. She isn't crying anymore but her eyes are bloodshot.

"You can't leave. I know because of Richard you can't be part of Wes and Jean's lives but there's no contract restraining you from being part of your granchild's life."

Her head snaps to look at me and she smiles. " Y-you are pregnant ? " She asks and I nod a yes.

She's about to ask another question but I answer knowing exactly what it is.

"It's Wes'."

Her smile widens and she hugs me and I hug her back.

I then proceed to answering her questions which are mostly about Wes and Jean.

"You should get back to your room." Katherine tells me once we're done talking.

She helps me up and we head to the elevator.

When I open the door to my room Logan practically jumps on me. He and Jean are the only ones in the room.

"Where the hell have you been ? " He asks me but my concentration is on Jean who is staring at Katherine.

"Mom...?" She asks and Katherine nods a yes.

The next thing I know is she's all over her mother crying, hugging and kissing her.

***

Katherine, Jean, Alex and I are sitting outside the ER waiting on any news about Wes' surgery.

It has been eight hours and I'm getting anxious.

Richard left to go to work. He's the one handling the company while Wes is away.

He still doesn't know that Katherine is back. Logan had to leave because his mother needed him to pick up someone from the airport.

"Dean Hughes."

I hear Dr.Carla's voice and that brings me back to reality.
We all rush to where she is and see she's holding a yellow medical folder.

"I have good news and bad news." She says. "Which one would you like to hear first ?"

"Good news." I say and everyone agrees.

Dr Carla nods then proceeds to open the yellow folder in her hands.

"The good news is Dean is out of surgery and also our of danger. His wounds are going to start healing immediately, though they'll leave scars.
The bad news is... he's in a coma, and we don't know when he'll wake up."

I stop listening to Dr.Carla the moment she says coma. I feel my knees go weak and I fall down to the ground.

Katherine runs to hold me but I can't feel her touch. I see her shouting something at me but funny enough... I can't hear a thing.