Chapter 40🥀Album

🎶Listen to (Everything I Do) I Do It For You by Bryan Adams🎵

*WES' POV*

My head is killing me. I want to open my eyes, but they are so heavy, and they feel like they are stuck together.

I force them open and familiar brown eyes pierce into my grey ones.

"Chicago what are you doing ?" I ask her, my voice thick and fatigued.

"I was staring at you sleep..." She admits guiltily.

I chuckle at what she just said.

"Wow... that's not creepy and weird at all." I sarcastically say in a gruff morning voice as I sit up and she laughs.

"Why were you even staring at me sleep..."

"I wanted to give you..." I watch her get up from the bed and and walk out of the room.

She comes back minutes later with a medium sized box wrapped in red and golden colored gift paper.

She sits at the empty space beside me and hands the box to me.

"...this. I didn't get to give you your Christmas gift yesterday... so I'm giving it to you... today." She says with a huge smile sprawled on her lovely face.

I stare at the gift on my lap then at her then back to the gift.

"It's not a nuclear bomb Wes... open it." Chicago says while nudging me.

I tear up the red and golden wrap paper and open the box to reveal a blue colored photo album.

"What's this..." I ask her.

"Open it..." She insists and I do.

I gasp.

It's my mum's photo album. How did she even...

"Chicago how did you even..."

"It was all Frank Garner. You should thank him... not me."

Frank was me and Jean's butler when were kids. He knew my mom because he worked for her before we were even born.

I turn and fold Chicago into a tight hug.

"You are the best." I whisper in her ear before breaking the hug.

I get back to looking at the pictures in the album while Chicago tells me exactly how she got to pull this off.

"This is the best gift that I've ever received." I tell her once she's finished explaining.

She smiles and I smile back. We then lapse into peaceful silence.

"I also have a Christmas present for you..." I say breaking the silence. Chicago raises her eyebrows prompting me on.

"... but... I'm not going to give it to you... unless you go out with me tonight."

Immediately those words come out of my mouth I see Chicago let out a smile similar to the Cheshire cat.

"Dean Weston Hughes... are you asking me out on a date ?" She teases and I smile.

"It's more of an invite to spend an evening with me..." I say in defense.

She kisses my cheek then cheers as she leaps out of bed.

"It's a date !" She says before getting inside the bathroom and locking the door.

I chuckle then decide to head downstairs to make myself a cup of coffee. As I pass the living room I see the empty whiskey bottle and glass on the floor. I run my fingers through my hair and head to clean that.

***

Chicago joins me in the kitchen twenty minutes later looking fresh. She's dressed in nothing but my white dress shirt. The one I wore last night.

"Hot chocolate ?" I offer her once she's seated on one of the high kitchen stools. She shrugs at it and proceeds to look for something else to eat in the pantry.

That's weird.

She never says no to anything sweet, let alone chocolate.

Jean yesterday mentioned to me something about Chicago having a stomach bug and I think it might be true.

I leave her in the kitchen and head to take a shower.

***

When I come back downstairs I find Chicago stuffing tacos in her face.

She ordered tacos...

Early this morning...

I clear my throat and she looks up.

"How are you eating tacos in the morning ?"

She's about to answer when the door bell rings.

Must be the delivery.

I head and open the door and I'm right... it's the delivery. I take the package from him and nod a thank you.

"Your dress for tonight." I say to Chicago as I place the package in front of her.

***

"Are we there yet ?" Chicago asks me for the a hundredth time this night and for the first time this night I give her a different answer.

"Yes, we're here."

She smiles as I stop my lamborghini outside a beautifully decorated building. We get out and I hand my keys to the valet.

"The Yale Writer's Gala."

Chicago reads out loud the banner hanging outside then turns to look at me in shock.

"How did you...?"

"I have my ways."

***

I watch as Chicago interacts with famous writers. She's happy and that makes me smile.

I was doing things for her without even realizing it.

Two hours later we walk out of the building hand in hand.

"Thank you for tonight."
Chicago whispers in my ear as she nudges her nose against mine.

"Best first date." I hear her say.

"It's not a date !" I retort back.

"Whatever makes you sleep at night." She chukles.

"We're not done yet." I say as I lead her towards the car.

***

I drive to the mansion rather than the penthouse.

We arrive at there two hours later and Chicago is deep in sleep. I wake her up and hand her a scarf.

"Use it to close your eyes." I tell her. She brings up a fight but I win.

I lead her to my garage and place car keys on her tiny, delicate fingers. I then untie the scarf from her eyes and whisper 'surprise' in her ears.

She rubs the sand in her eyes then turns to face me.

"You bought me a bentley ?!" She asks me in surprise.

"Yeah... you said you wanted a bentley for Christmas... I made it happened."

Before I know it, she is hugging me while jumping and squealing .

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I love you."

As soon as those last three words came out of her mouth I feel myself go stiff. I turn to face her and she has her hands on her mouth.