Chapter 25🥀Past

🎵Listen to A Million Dreams by Pink🎶

*WES' POV*

I knew she would come... and she did.

When Alex told me to at least try and let Chicago in, I knew exactly what to do.

I wanted her to know why I had pushed her that night when she walked in on me playing the piano. I never got to explain my actions because I was to angry to reason.

But today I will.

I sensed her presence and just like I had planned, she walked in while holding the red roses sprawled out on the corridor.

I knew she was a fun of roses... white ones to be exact. That's why I placed the one white rose at the the end.

The smile that was on her lips while picking up the white rose didn't go unnoticed. Once she settled herself next to me I played her John Legend's All Of Me. It felt right at the moment.

As I played the unexpected happened.

She laid her head on my shoulder. I relaxed as I felt the warmth of her warm body against my cold one. I watched her from the corner of my eyes as she watched me play.

Once I finished playing she removed her head from my shoulder and sat up straight. None of us said a word to each other.

"Why am I here Wes ?" She finally breaks the silence and brings me back to reality.

"M... my mother died twenty eight years ago immediately after giving birth to Jean and I, or so that's what we were told. They said she couldn't handle it." I say.

Chicago's gasp doesn't go unnoticed. I turn to face her and she is all ears.

"When Jean and I turned eight, my mother's family side went all cold on us. They stopped calling, coming to dinners... in short they cut all ties with the Hughes.

We spent all our childhood being raised by different nannies.

My dad's company was just handed to him by my grandfather so he couldn't raise us. He said and I quote 'we are a distraction and hindrance towards his success'.

On our tenth birthday, I sneeked out of the boring party that was held for us and decided to explore the mansion.

I came across a locked door and my curiosity got the best of me. I wanted to know what was inside.

I knew where the extra keys to all doors in the mansion were kept so getting the door open was a piece of cake.

The room was empty except for a dusty glass piano in the middle.

I placed my fingers on the keys, and as hard as it is to believe, I found myself playing.

I knew how to play.

My butler, Frank helped get me and Jean piano lessons which improved our skills.
For years that piano room become mine and Jean's secret.

We later found out the piano was my mom's. She loved it so much. She wanted us to learn how to play it.

I feel at peace when playing. I feel connected to my mom. Jean knows to play but avoids it. She says she'll only end up crying over and over again.

I took the piano with me when I moved out of my dad's mansion.

That night... when you walked in on me playing... I missed her so I wanted to connect to her.

No one other than Jean and Frank has ever seen me play. I got angry and hurt you... I'm really sorry Chicago. I would never hurt you knowingly."

Chicago shook her head. "It's okay... I forgave you a very long time ago."

"Thank you." I say.

I see her smile at me encouragingly, trying to make me feel a little bit better and comfortable, and I appreciate that.

"Why don't you believe that your mother died while birthing you and Jean.

You just said, 'my mother died twenty eight years ago immediately after giving birth to Jean and I, or so that's what we were told'... why don't you believe she's gone ?" She suddenly asks out of no where.

I start feeling uneasy. I've never opened up this much. But I'm the one who chose to tell her.

"I saw her once in Manhattan. Alex, Jean and I were on a weekend getaway and I saw her. No one believed me.

They said I was crazy.

My father brought this doctor who used to inject me with tranquilizers whenever I mentioned my mom.

He did that for six months till I stopped mentioning her. That's when the doctor stopped.

I've been looking for her since then. I know what I saw. I know she's out there and I know she watches us from a far.

What I don't know is why she left us. Why she's doing all this. I just don't know why." I say, my words barely audible.

I feel her pull me in a tight reassuring hug and I hug her back.

She smells like lavender and strawberries and that calms me down.

"Hacheeew !"

I pull Chicago away from the embraced and stare at her. She doesn't look so good.

Despite her everyday sun-kissed tone, she is visibly pale. I place the back of my palm on her forehead and she is heating up.

"You have a cold ! When and how did you get a cold ?"

"Uumm... I-am-"

I watch her stutter.

"Three days ago when you were at your family's thanksgiving dinner. I didn't have a ride back to the mansion so I had
to start walking.

Fortunately Edward got to me but the damage had already been done. Plus I went to bed with damp hair that same night."

I let out a sigh and stand up. I can't believe she's been sick three days and I didn't know.

"Let's get you to bed."

I pick her up bridal style and carry her back to her room.