Chapter 37🥀Guilt

🎵Listen to Torn by One Direction🎶

*WES' POV*

7:45 pm

When I walk inside my father's office, I find him talking to two business associates who also happen to be his long time friends.

I let out a little cough due to the smoke from the cigars they are puffing. I eye the ash tray and it's half full.

How long have they been smoking those things ?

"You need something Dean ?"

My father asks me and I place a flash disk in front of him. He eyes it for a few seconds then shifts his gaze to mine.

"What's this ?"

"The book !"

He stares at me for a second as if processing what I had just said then dismisses the two associates.

I occupy one of the empty seats and he proceeds to call his assistant from the intercom.

As we wait for the assistant he pours me a glass of whiskey which I consume in one gulp.

"Where have you been... I haven't seen you in forty eight hours." He asks me in a firm voice but before I could answer, we hear a knock at the door and a slim looking guy walks in.

His assistant I presume.

"You called for me sir ?"

"Yes Jeff... email this to Forbes." He hands him the flash disk.

"Once it's done give me the feedback." Jeff nods a yes then exists the office.

"I better go. I have work to do." I say as I stand up to leave.

"Here"

My father places a brown envelope in front of me. I eye him uncomprehendingly before I take it and remove the contents inside.

"You had me followed !"

My head snaps to look at him. The envelope is full of pictures of me and Chicago from the Bahamas.

"Oh no ! I trusted you."

I pick up the pictures and leave his office without any last glance at him. The last thing I want right now is one of his lectures.

***

"I know you are all wondering why I called this meeting very early in the morning." My father says with a smile.

I check my rolex watch.

6:44 am

Why are we even here ?

"That's a very nice question Dean."

I look up, my eyes wide. I hadn't realized I had asked that out loud.

" I wanted to announce my retirement on January."

The conference room goes awfully quiet.

My father clears his throat.

"...as I was saying, I'll be retiring early January and by then I would have decided if my son, Dean will run the Hughes empire or if I'll have to hire someone to do it for me."

I look at my father and our eyes lock.

"Happy holidays to you all." He mutters not shifting his gaze from mine then walks out of the conference room.

"Hey buddy you okay ?" I hear Alex ask me but I ignore him and walk to my office.

***

"Sir, Forbes accepted the book."

I look up from my computer and see Rachel standing in front of me.

"Okay"

I dismiss her then slump over my desk and let out a heavy sigh.

When Chicago told me she had finished writing the book I got devastated. I immediately called Chad and told him to get the book from Chicago's laptop then delete any copy.

When Edward came to pick Chicago yesterday, he secretly handed me the flash disk without Chicago's knowledge.

I know what I'm doing is wrong but I don't want her to leave.

***

When I enter the mansion it's awfully quiet. I head for my study but pass by Erick's room first. He's watching tv with his nanny. I've been trying really hard to bond with him.

I let out an exhausted sigh and walk away.

When I enter my study the first thing I notice is a tear filled Chicago seated on my couch. She runs to me and wraps her arms round my torso.

"I'm really sorry." She says between sobs.

"What happened..."

"The book is gone. I had it on my laptop but it's not working. I had a flash disk on my vanity drawer but it's not there anymore. I lost it... I'm such a careless person. Seven month's work is gone..."

I silence her by resting her head on my chest. It really took all of me to not tell her the truth.

"It's okay. We'll start all over again."

I feel her sobs lessen.

"Thanks for understanding." She says then hugs me tighter.

I couldn't help but feel guilty and torn because of the conversation we were having.

I really hated doing this to her.