40- The Why You've Waited For

Chase grunted as he tried to push himself up to sitting only using one arm. He grabbed a towel and pressed it against his shoulder and sputtered out:
"Men who fall in love with you just don't stand a chance, do they?"

You: "I am going to ask one more time, and I won't miss again... where is Vinnie?"

Chase: *groaning as he adjusted his wounded shoulder*
"You call this missing?"

You cocked the gun again as Chase strained to pull his phone out.

Chase: "You win but you have to answer one question."

When you didn't shoot, he asked:
"Why Vinnie?"

You could hear the genuine hurt in his strained voice so you decided to answer:
"I can't explain why or how I fell in love with him but I did."

Chase: *starting to tear up but fighting to hide it*
"Was it even real between us?"

You: "Are you kidding me? I had never and will never love someone how I loved you. But you left."

Chase: "I was shot!!"

You: "And I thought you were gone. You WERE gone. Why didn't you find me while I was holding your mother at your grave? Where were you when I couldn't breathe for weeks? When I couldn't get out of bed for months?"

Chase: "I was in bad shape. My father had me moved to a private hospital and it took me months to even be able to speak again. By the time I got out and came to find you... you had already moved on."

You lowered the gun and stepped back in shock.
He'd come for you? Had he seen you with Vinnie and THAT'S what changed him? Would he have let his father push him under his thumb if you'd waited for him?

You shook the thought off because you knew it was ridiculous. You had mourned for months and you refused to take the blame for finding happiness after he'd left.

Chase took advantage of the moment you spent deep in contemplation and charged towards you with the last of his energy. You jumped back as the living room door kicked open and Bryce stepped in with his gun drawn. Chase fell back, clutching his shoulder in pain from the failed attempt to overpower you.

*BRYCE'S POV*

He hadn't caught her sneaking out, but the moment he'd realized she was missing he had taken off, following the tracker her dad had installed in Noah's car without him knowing

Bryce: *half angry, half relieved*
"Why would you come here alone?"

You: "I needed answers and I got them."

She turned to face Chase again and kneeled down:
"Now for the last time, I'm asking the only thing left I want to know... WHERE IS VINNIE?"

Bryce couldn't believe the strength in her voice. The little girl he'd watched grow up before his eyes had become a strong and fearless woman.

Bryce: "You heard her..."

Chase: "Fine, he's being held in the garage."

Bryce: "Where is that?"

You: "I know where it is. Let's go."

Bryce knew how to handle the situation better and stopped to order Chase to make a call:
"Tell whoever is holding him to let him free now."

Chase: "There's no one-"

Bryce: *hitting him with the grip*
"Call! Now!"

*END BRYCE'S POV*

Chase: *sighing*
"Fine."

He dialed the number and put it on speakerphone before ordering his men to let Vinnie go:
"The job is finished, he's free."

Bryce nudged him in a way that seemed more like a threat so Chase added:
"You can go home after. I want the garage empty immediately."

Bryce: "Is there anything else you need to say before we leave?"

You stepped towards Chase where he'd dropped the phone the moment he hung up:
"There's nothing left for me here."

You stepped on the phone, smashing it beyond repair. You turned to follow Bryce out, leaving them both bleeding out on the floor.