5- Countdown to...

*AUTHOR'S NOTE: This chapter contains scenes that may trigger some due to violence/blood.

You were back in your room after showering off the pool water and guilt. Even though you stopped Jaden, you felt terrible for even going to Avani’s knowing he’d be there.  Chase had been trying to call for the last hour and had resorted to texting you because you’d refused to answer. 

You facetimed Avani because she was the only one who knew what Jaden pulled and you knew she’d never judge you

You facetimed Avani because she was the only one who knew what Jaden pulled and you knew she’d never judge you. Mostly because almost all the trouble you’d ever been in for the last 16 years, she’d gotten you into.

Avani: “Seriously, you didn’t do anything wrong. It’s not like you kissed him back.”

You: “Of course not! I would never cheat on Chase. You know how I feel about him.”

Avani: “I’m really sorry for getting you into that mess. He seemed chill with just being friends and I really didn’t think he’d pull that or I wouldn’t have invited him.”

Your dad knocked and then walked in because your door was cracked open. You hurried up and ended the call with Avani and sat up waiting to see what your dad needed. Had he heard the conversation?

Dad: “Did you and Chase break up?”

You: “What? No!”

Dad: “Avani’s Dad said that he saw you getting awfully cozy with a boy he didn’t recognize over at his house earlier. I just don’t think that’s a good idea.”

You: “You really need to pick what you hate more, Dad. Me with Chase or me finding someone who isn’t Chase.”

Dad: “It’s not that. You just have to be more careful than normal girls. You can’t just meet up with random strangers until I have a chance to have my guys check into them.”

You: “He’s not a stranger. He’s friends with Anthony.”

Dad: “You know I try to not involve you in my business, but there is a new family that’s moved into our territory and things are getting heated right now. I just want to keep you and your sister safe.”

You were interrupted by Bryce walking in and handing your dad a file folder with a stack of papers inside. Your dad looked through the stack and laid them out on the bed in front of you. You saw Jaden’s photo on the top of the pile with information on the Hossler Crime Family:
“That- That’s Jaden.”

Dad: “He’s the son of my rival and for you, dear, is strictly off limits

Dad: “He’s the son of my rival and for you, dear, is strictly off limits.”

Your dad left you alone to process the new information and you pulled out your phone to ask Avani if she knew when you noticed another text from Chase. 

You figured telling him some boy tried to kiss you but you didn’t kiss him back was an in person conversation

You figured telling him some boy tried to kiss you but you didn’t kiss him back was an in person conversation. You made plans to meet Chase in front of the skate park a block away. It would take you 5 minutes to walk and him 10, but you’d need time to sneak out anyway. You still managed to get there early, so you were surprised to see someone leaning against the fence in the shadows. You gasped when he stepped forward and you came face to face with JADEN!!

You: *stuttering*
“L- Look, I k- kn- know who you ar- are.”

Jaden “Well, now that introductions are out of the way you should probably know why I’m here.”

You: “Are you g- going to hurt me?”

Jaden: *tilts his head to the side with a maniacal smirk*
“Those are the orders. Step 1- Get close to the idiot friends. Step 2- Grab the idiot daughter. Step 3- Make your father suffer leaving the territory weak and prime for takeover.”

Chase: *out of breath from jogging the last part of the journey*
“Hey baby, sorry I’m late- Wait who is this?”

You: “He- He has a gun. Chase, RUN!”

Jaden: *pulled it out and pointed it at you*
“Shame on you for ruining the surprise.”

In the flash of the trigger, he fired and Chase grabbed you to pull you to the ground. You landed on top of Chase and could hear him gasping for air. You tried to push yourself up, realizing you probably knocked the wind out of him by landing on top of him. When you pushed yourself up, Chase tried to force himself to roll over to the side but fell back onto his back. You realized the blood dripping down your arms wasn’t from scraping it against the concrete, but that one of you had been hit. One look in Chase’s eyes and you knew he’d taken the bullet meant for you. 

Jaden prepared to fire again but was interrupted by a black car pulling into the skatepark and revving its engine to speed across the grass. Bryce jumped out and prayed the noise he’d heard hadn’t come from here. He made eye contact with Jaden and immediately reached for his holster. Before he could pull it out Jaden fired towards him, hitting Bryce in the shoulder. Bryce dropped behind his car. Ignoring his wound, he prepared to peek out and return fire but only caught a glimpse of Jaden disappearing into the woods behind the park.