37- A Plan

You woke up and found Avani still curled up next to you. She was playing on her phone and trying not to bother you.

 She was playing on her phone and trying not to bother you

You: “Where is Dixie?”

Avani: “She is just helping your mom with food I think. Need me to find her?”

You: “No, no. Don’t bother her. I feel bad enough that she’s having to babysit me.”

Avani: “Sweetheart you know that isn’t what she’s been doing. She loves you and just wants to be here for you.”

You: “I hate that it’s always me who needs saving. She has this totally normal life with this great boyfriend and I’m just always falling apart.”

Avani: “I understand where you’re coming from but I don’t think she feels like you’re a burden at all.”

You: “You know where I’m coming from? Avani, you and Anthony are just as perfect. Never any drama. Meanwhile I have buried one boyfriend and the other has been kidnapped by the one I thought I buried.”

Avani: “Fair enough, but you know it’s not always been perfect for me. My last boyfriend was a nightmare and I got through it and you’ll get through this too. You just have to remember how strong you are.”

You: “I don’t feel very strong. I’m sitting here with a revolving door of babysitters while Vinnie is alone and hurt.”

Avani: “You are the strongest person I know. I don’t agree with what you did last night but no one can deny that you were a freakin warrior, girl.”

You: *starting to tear up again*
“Then where is he? Why isn’t he here?”

Avani: “You just have to remind yourself who you are and what you’re capable of.”

You: “I’m just trying to be that without hurting all of you. Dixie freaked out after last night.”

Avani: “I know and so did I. We don’t want you getting hurt but it doesn’t mean we weren’t crazy proud of you.”

You: “I just don’t know how my life got so messed up.”

Avani: “So he’s really back?”

You: “Chase? Yeah... “

Avani: “What was it like? What was he like?”

You: “It’s like he’s a complete stranger. I don’t even know that boy but at the same time it’s still his face and his arms and his voice…”

Avani: “It’s hard to imagine because I only know him to be that sweet kid who was obsessed with you.”

You: “The only one obsessed is me, I guess. God I’ve dreamed about that voice 3 times last night alone. I’ll never get it out of my head, Avani.”

Avani: “Do you think if he had acted differently that it’d have changed how much you love Vinnie?”

You: “It would have made it harder to turn away from him, but I don’t think I could possibly love Vinnie any less.” 

Avani: “Okay, then how are we going to get Vinnie back?”

You: “I already begged my dad and he just won’t listen.”

Avani: “When have you ever needed him?”

You: *reaching over to grab your phone*
“You’re right.”

Avani: “Who are you texting?”

You: “If I asked you to trust me, would you?”

Avani: “I’m not letting you go alone. Nope.”

You: “Listen… either you believe in me or you don’t.”

Avani tilted her head and looked at you like she knew it was hopeless to argue but was still trying to find the words to stop you. 

You: “Please… just trust me. I promise I’ll be careful and if Dixie comes back just tell her… I don’t know… pretend you fell asleep.”

Avani sighed and you knew in that instant that she would have your back. You hugged her and took off to find a way to sneak out undetected. It would be hard with all the extra guards but you always found a way. 

You tiptoed down the hall and past your dad’s office and slipped out the door. It was tricky but the door by his office was never guarded because he didn’t want anyone overhearing private business.