8- Escape

After you said your goodbyes, you laid in bed staring at the sparkling band on your finger. You imagined Chase’s fingers intertwined with yours instead. You’d give anything to talk to him one more time. God, maybe you really were going crazy and needed a shrink.

You hopped up and made your way to the living room. Your parents were together and both sat up quickly, but silently scared to say the wrong thing.

You: “I’ve been thinking about what you and mom were trying to decide for me earlier today.”

Mom: “Listen, sweetie… I wasn’t trying to force anything on-”

You: “No, I want to go.”

Dad: “I just don’t think that’s a good idea rig-”

You: “Well, you did kill my boyfriend, the least you can do is let me see a therapist.”

You sat out on the front porch and Blake walked up from around the side of the house:
“Your mom was able to get you an appointment for this afternoon but are you sure you wouldn’t rather Bryce take you?”

You sat out on the front porch and Blake walked up from around the side of the house:“Your mom was able to get you an appointment for this afternoon but are you sure you wouldn’t rather Bryce take you?”

You: “Nope, for what I need, you’ll do just fine.”

Blake drove you to the office and let you know he’d be waiting in the lobby. You checked in with the receptionist and asked where the bathroom was. Blake didn’t even look up when you slid out the side door and down the hall. As soon as you got out the back entrance to the building you took off at full speed. You didn’t know how long it would take him to realize you weren’t really in the bathroom and you weren’t going to risk him catching you. 

You knew where you were headed and it was only 15 minutes if you jogged. You just needed to talk to Chase. No matter what he was still the love of your life and you had to ring to prove it. You just needed to thank him.

When you finally stopped running, you bent over to catch your breath. You looked up and saw hundreds of beautifully sad stone markers dotting the grassy field. You didn’t need any help finding where you were going because that day was the 2nd most vivid memory of your life. You kneeled down in front of the marble block and traced your fingertips over the last name you had hoped to someday carry.

 You kneeled down in front of the marble block and traced your fingertips over the last name you had hoped to someday carry

You: “I miss you so much, baby. Your mom came by today. She really misses you too.”

Your head turned as you heard movement in the distance, but when you didn’t see anyone you just assumed you were hearing things. Either that or Blake would jump out any moment and drag you home. 

You: “I haven’t taken this ring off and I won’t ever. Ever, ever. I love it so much. You really picked out the perfect one. I know you wanted me to wait for my birthday to get it, but I’ve learned one thing from all of this. Never take a moment for granted.”

You noticed a dandelion growing next to his plot and laughed. You were flooded with flashbacks to laying in a field near the park one afternoon a few months ago. 

You were staring up at the clouds and he’d picked a dandelion from the ground and threw it behind him

You were staring up at the clouds and he’d picked a dandelion from the ground and threw it behind him. You rolled over in shock and he looked confused:
“Baby, don’t pick flowers or they die.”

Chase: *chuckling*
“That’s not a flower, dandelions are weeds.” 

You: *pushing your bottom lip out in a pout*
“Don’t say that. They’re beautiful.”

A week later he showed up for your 6 month anniversary with dandelions he had planted in a pot instead of a bouquet. It was those little things that had made you fall so profoundly in love with him.

You smiled as you laid on the grass that had started to grow over his plot. You closed your eyes and let yourself imagine being back in his arms on that warm summer day. Suddenly you felt someone grab you and drag you to your feet. At first you thought it was an angry Bryce again, but as you kicked and screamed you saw the doors to a van nearby slide open and felt someone cover your mouth with a chemical soaked cloth.