27- Our People

You were laying in your room talking to Dixie while Bryce and Vinnie talked to your dad. You didn’t feel like listening to them decide things for your life so you’d just gone to bed. Dixie heard them arguing in the kitchen and came to check on you:
“Hey sis. Home early?”

You told her everything that happened then asked:“I’ll never be free will I?”

“I’ll never be free will I?”

Dixie: “Dad will handle Jaden when he finds him.”

You: “I didn’t just mean that. I’ll always be a prisoner of his life choices.”

Dixie: “Why do you think i still live at home at 19?”

You: “I don’t know how you do it. Dad sees Noah as the son he never had so it’s different for you but I always feel like I’m having to sacrifice what I want most.”

Dixie: “He just wants to protect us.”

You: “What if he is what we really should be protected from?”

Dixie: “I guess, but life is comfortable here. We’ve never wanted anything he didn’t give us.”

You: “I’d give all of this up if it meant being free.”

Dixie just shook her head in agreement knowing that you two were just very different that way. Even when she didn’t understand she always supported whatever you were feeling. You contemplated telling her the truth but couldn’t break your word and risk losing Vinnie.

*DAD’S POV*

Marc: “Bryce, go check with security and see about adding a second guard on my daughter.”

Bryce left and Marc immediately turned to Vinnie:
“WTF happened?”

Vinnie: “We were having pizza and I went to pay the bill. Bryce was posted out front so I don’t know how he got to her.”

Marc: “I trusted you to protect her!!”

Vinnie: “I would do anything to keep her safe.”

Dad: “Anything?”

*END DAD'S POV*

It was a few days later and you hadn’t left your house other than a picnic with Vinnie in the backyard. Today, Avani called:
“We should go do something today?”

You: “There is no chance my dad lets me out of the house again.”

Avani: “How come? Isn’t that what Bryce is for?”

You told her everything that had happened with Jaden confronting you twice and she just responded:
“I know just the thing. Be there in 20.”

She waltzed in half an hour later with Anthony following behind. Avani tried to drag you out of bed but you resisted, groaning:
“Ugh. I just want to lay here in misery, Vani.”

Avani: *yelling*
“DIXIIIEEE!!!”

Dixie popped her head in and immediately joined the effort to get you up and out of bed. 

You: “I don’t want to be the 3rd wheel since Vinnie is busy.”

Dixie: “How about the 5th wheel? Noah is here and we can all watch a movie as a group.”

You gave up and moved to the couch for movie night. You checked your phone over and over, but so far you hadn’t heard a word back from your boyfriend.

Noah: *whispering*“Hey, boyfriends get busy sometimes but that kid is obsessed with you so don’t worry… he’ll call

Noah: *whispering*
“Hey, boyfriends get busy sometimes but that kid is obsessed with you so don’t worry… he’ll call.”